Go Bottom

Landscape rake disk

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-07-15          113523

2 semi quick updates.
1) My KK BOX disk 6 1/2 foot and around 800#. Last year I was NOT too impressed with how it cut or worked in a field that was only planted the year before. I killed it off and tried to use it straight up. It worked but NOT too impressive. NEW UPDATE. This last weekend I used it in a field I plowed last April. The ground was dry and the conditions were perfect. After picking rocks for many hours I tried to disk this field. WOW!!! Many many rocks maybe 3-8" still out there but absolutely NO damage to the disk. I have a small roll of bob wire rapped up in the blades. No damamge after I picked it out. I even had a 6-8" rock jammed inbetween two disks so bad I had to beat it out. NO damage!!!! And yes, It disked this plowed field wonderfully!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a new feeling towards my disk! (One like??? Hmmm Why did I buy that brand new 6' tiller last april)
Impulse buying? LOL
After disking with this small disk you can imagine there was an uneveness in that field. Only covering 6.5foot at a time you can imagine that the field would be a bit wavy. So here I am, conditions are perfect and I am heading to town 50 miles away to pick up my sons glasses. I drive by farm and fleet and think, WOuldnt it be nice to have a landscape rake. The conditions ARE perfect. LOL Well I bought it. 84" KK and it worked great!
Man I hope I never get the impulse to get one of my TWO vesectomies reversed!!! Yes I said I had 2 of them!
This farming is getting fun with the more equipment I buy

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Landscape rake disk

View my Photos
BrendonN

2005-07-16          113526

I have a KK 5.5' angle frame disk that I use with my 1948 Deere M. With the vintage hydraulic system factory-set at a whopping 750psi, 500 lbs is the maximum I can lift. So, when I purchased a disk, I went as heavy as I could lift which for a disk is pretty light. In hard ground or with a lot of residue cover, results are not impressive. Last summer after I plowed my little wheat field (when the ground was fairly hard and dry) the disk had trouble with the football-sized clods. It would bounce off of them with no effect on the clods (or the disk, which was good). But, after getting a timely rain to soften things up, the disk cut nicely and with two passes the ground was soft and mellow. A few passes with a shop-built spring tooth cultivator with harrow attachment and the seedbed was in nice shape. The moral of the story is that these little disks are really not capable of cutting up heavy residue or hard ground. Where the ground is softer and with little trash, though, they can do a decent job. ....

Landscape rake disk

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-07-18          113618

Good post and good points. Anouther thing to remember is to round up (or generic equivalent) ahead of time. Give those weeds time to die and the roots to let go of their grip on the ground. This helps extensively when using a disk that is NOT 100# per disk like all of the ones we use with the small tractors. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login