Go Bottom

Log splitter questions

View my Photos
k9fletch
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-03-07          125681

I have managed to scavenge most of the parts needed to build a log splitter but I need to purchase a pump and make or buy a tank so I have a few questions:

I am going to use a 10 hp engine, what size pump will work? The info I have seen recommends a 16 gpm for a 8hp and a 22gpm for a 12hp motor, for cost reasons can I get away with a 16gpm on a 10 hp motor without damaging the pump?

What size of tank should I use? Should it be based on the gpm of the pump or I have been told it should be 3x the volume of the ram?

I have a 5x18 ram(I think) and a 4x24 which is the one I am leaning toward.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Log splitter questions

View my Photos
shortmagnum
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-03-07          125683

Most splitter pumps are two stage pumps. The large GPM ratings are for a no-load or low-load condition such as cycling the ram back to load another chunk of wood. Under load they pump much less volume but at much higher pressures.

Northern tool has good information (link below for 16 GPM pump). It requires at least an 8-horse motor. Your 4x24 ram's volume is about 1.3 gallons so with no load it should cycle through both directions in about 10 seconds.
Dave ....

Link:   16 GPM pump

Log splitter questions

View my Photos
Art White

2006-03-07          125717

Rule of thumb here is two to one. One horsepower per two gallons a minute. ....

Log splitter questions

View my Photos
beagle

2006-03-08          125820

The 2 to 1 rule is also a good rule for sizing the reservoir. If the system capacity is 1.5 gallons, you need a 3 gallon reservoir as a minimum.

We use 5 gallon reservoirs and don't notice any heat build up, even with continuous use. ....

Log splitter questions

View my Photos
k9fletch

2006-03-10          125922

Thanks for the input, I think I will go with the 16 gpm pump, the $150 increase for the 22gpm is a little hard to take. ....

Log splitter questions

View my Photos
Art White

2006-03-11          125952

You weren't paying attention! I'm glad your pocket book came into play on the pump! ....

Log splitter questions

View my Photos
k9fletch

2006-03-11          125956

Sorry Art, I do understand and thank you for your reply, perhaps what I should have originally posted is: can I do any damage to a 16gpm if it is connected to a 10hp motor?.....and based on your two to one rule a 10 hp motor it probably wouldn't have sufficient hp to run a 22gpm pump (nor does my wallet)

I often have to reread my posts days later to realize that what I wrote may have made perfect sense to the squirrel in my head but is not so clear to most everyone else. Thanks again, K9 ....

Log splitter questions

View my Photos
Art White

2006-03-12          125962

You should do just fine with the ten horse on the 16 gallon pump. Do look for the two stage pump, as the extra speed of the ram is great to keep you from standing around. A self canceling valve is a must to so you don't need to hold it on the return. Good Luck with your project. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login