Go Bottom

3 Point Boom Pole

View my Photos
Blueman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-03-08          125770

OK, I've never went out and spent the $$ on the loader that I wanted (hey, I've had 2 MORE kids since I bought the tractor!). So, I've got some large rocks around my place that I would like to move for landscaping, and not drag them if possible. How much would I be able to lift with a 3 point boom on my TC45D? Can I hurt the 3PH, or will a valve limit the lift before damage could occur? Would a set of pallet forks be a better alternative?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

3 Point Boom Pole

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-03-08          125771

First things first.

The boom pole will lift rocks, we do it all the time, size is a function of 3pth capacity reduced by physics, the further out, the less the lift.

We built an upright that goes onto a standard 3pth drawbar that only extends up about 4' and barely sticks out 1'. It also has two little stubs that stick straight back about 6". There is a pair of hooks at the top which allow two chains to be snagged for lifting. We use mostly for lifting and carrying trees by the steel root ball cage.

A properly built rig like this on your tractor, with of course the proper front ballast, should be able to lift about a ton, maybe a little more. The relief valve for the 3pth should release long before it gets to the point of doing any damage.

You should be cautious though, shock loads (like hitting a bump) can generate huge sudden increases in the loading, and also bear in mind, a lot of the weiht you will be carrying will be transferred onto the upper link. It is highly recomended that any 3pth boom pole or carrier be mated with a hyd. toplink, by shortening the toplink you can shift the center of gravity of the load forward and put more of its wieght on the two lift arms.

Finally, ALWAYS wear you seatbelt and kep the load as low as possible.

Best of luck. ....

3 Point Boom Pole

View my Photos
Blueman

2006-03-08          125776

Murf,
Thanks for the info. I'm not sure what I'm getting into with a hydraulic top link...cost$$? I guess I would need another SCV to hook that up? Who knows how much these rocks weigh, but I'm sure I can come up with other uses! ....

3 Point Boom Pole

View my Photos
Murf

2006-03-08          125779

Your profile says you have a 3pth woodsplitter, so I must assume you have at the very least a hyd. power outlet.

You can run a hyd. toplink off an existing outlet for about $150 or less, add another $100 if you need a valve as well.

You may be able to come up with a used cylinder for much less though, I made one up for a buddy of mine, the cylinder was $20 at an auction and it cost about another $20 for the lines. Other than that it was only about 10 minutes with the welder and install the lines.

Best of luck. ....

3 Point Boom Pole

View my Photos
Murf

2006-03-08          125780

Speaking of profile, now that I see where you're located, I could just toss one out the window along I-79 on my way to Florida for you, LOL.

Ours probably gets used more by my employees on their own time for pulling stuff around, mostly firewood logs, than it does on the job.

If you can't get something worked drop me a line, maybe we can work something out.

Best of luck. ....

3 Point Boom Pole

View my Photos
Blueman

2006-03-08          125784

Murf,
I would welcome you to see my little part of God's country! I'm only 2 miles from I79!
Sean ....

3 Point Boom Pole

View my Photos
beagle

2006-03-08          125816

Depending on the type of boom pole set up, the top link can really take a beating. If the vertical distance between the lift arms and the top link is 1.33', anything further behind the lower arm pins than 1.33' will multiply the tesion on the top link bracket. In other words, if you lift 1000lbs 2.66 feet behind the link pins, you will generate 2000 lbs of tension on the top link bracket. Your three point is probably rated at 24" behind the pins, stay within the recommended distance and weight. Going further than that could ovestress the top link bracket. ....

3 Point Boom Pole

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-03-08          125821

Install a dyno (load indicating device) to the boom pole, attach the boom pole to a hard point,(such as a tree) measure distance to the ground, apply hyd pressure slowly and measure the deflection of the pole to the ground and record the weight. This will give you a safe way to lift rocks while montoring the pole deflection at a given distance and stop overloads. It also will give you a rule of thumb for the rocks weight. Murf brought up Shock Load this is a very real threat and could cause great damage. Control of the rocks while moving is of great importance tag lines and such. You must use common sense when you first load up the pole, you are not looking for breaking strength you want a working load limit. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login