Go Bottom

Harley Rake Questions

View my Photos
getchellad
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-04-30          128583

I've seen landscape companies in my area using a piece of equipment called I think a Harley Rake. From my brief research online they look like they start about $4000. Are they really worth that much more then a reqular rake for getting your yard ready for grass.
Thanks,
Adam

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Harley Rake Questions

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-04-30          128607

Gee they must have dropped in price since I bought mine three years ago--they were $7500 and up for a 72" 3-point.

What kind of soil do you have? What is the condition? Believe it or not, I prefer to use a 6' box scraper over my Harley rake for prepping lawns. I use the Harley rake for regrinding my 1 mile long private road. After I fluff it up to about 4-6" deep I run the box scraper over it which compacts and levels it. I have Galion 504 motor (road) grader and haven't used it since I got the Harley rake---it does that good of job.

If you insist on having a soil preparator, I would suggest a pull-type preparator which consists of two rows of several sharp pointed shafts about 6" long spaced about 4" apart. Behind them resides a roller with sharp points about an inch long. This roller provides a depth control and breaks up soil clumps and helps smooth it out. I sold my used one for $800 a few years ago. ....

Harley Rake Questions

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-04-30          128617

Harley builds several models bouncing between their bread and butter the double roller pro models that on 6' start about 7500 to single roll units that are more economical. Here in central NY it would be tough to grade with a box blade unless you brought in the clean top soil. ....

Harley Rake Questions

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-04-30          128623

Harley's the most recognized name in power rakes. Seems like the big guys are getting into the action now. Mine was made by Piranha in Wisconsin. This particular mfg. has a rotary broom option that allows you to remove the rake drum and replace it with the broom. Don't think I'd want to be on a tractor when using it though even with a cab! ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login