Go Bottom

Sweeper

View my Photos
leekeeler
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-05-03          128805

Does anyone have a suggestion for a small power sweeper that would work with a BX 2230?
Lee

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Sweeper

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-05-04          128850

What are you sweeping and on what surface? I'm assuming you are talking about a rotary brush sweeper? If there's any airborne dirt involved, I'd stay away from any type of sweeper whether front- or rear-mounted due to air cleaner clogging problems, and your breathing. If you must use a sweeper I would suggest a 36" or 48" walk-behind self-propelled type. I've seen them on e-bay for $300-500.

There is another type of sweeper that is made for the front of pickups and skid steers (I highly doubt their effectiveness though). They are basically are large push-broom. And they are pretty proud of them too $800-1200 and up.

Sweeper

View my Photos
leekeeler

2006-05-04          128861

Earthwrks: I have about 10,000 sq ft of asphalt that is surrounded by gravel and I am trying to find a rotary sweeper that I could use to sweep the asphalt occassionally.

Lee ....

Sweeper

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-05-04          128863

I have several of those push-broom style sweepers in the fleet, and one of my own at home.

It is very good for things like dethatching turf, clearing gravel from turf or pavement, but not great for very fine sand, like what results after it has been driven over for a while. Course sand is no problem.

The big advantage is that because the broom is almost stationary it kicks up VERY little dust.

Rotary style power sweepers, unless they have a colection system, create so much dust that you have to either pre-wet the area, or go over it twice, and forget about doing it if there is a breeze, or a vehicle or clean window within ~100' of were you're working.

Best of luck. ....

Sweeper

View my Photos
yooperpete

2006-05-04          128868

You may find that a high volume leave blower like a Stihl may blow the stones off of the asphalt.

I have smaller areas but use a Stihl yard boss which is a small tiller for $349.95 that has a PowerSweep attachment for an additional $179.95 which fits to it instead of the tiller blades. It is kinda like a drum with flaps. It only does about a 2 ft. section at a time. If your 10,000 sq. ft. is 20x500 you would have to take 250 passes for the 20ft. width. That is really time consuming!!!

Every now and then at the shop we have a large staging area by the fab section. The asphalt is covered with weld scale, bits and chunks of steel, etc. We use a long length of hose from our air compressor with a long wand so the guy don't have to bend down. We call that the air sweep. ....

Sweeper

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-05-07          129061

Lee: I think a large walk-behind blower about 5hp-10 would be the ticket. I have a 8hp unit that will blow 1/2" rocks away with ease (got it for $50 at a garage sale). ....

Sweeper

View my Photos
leekeeler

2006-05-08          129088

Thanks all for the suggestions. I purchased a new backpack Stihl blower that surprisingly does a great job. I had an older blower, but not near the power this new Stihl has. I demoed a pull behind rotary sweeper and way to much dirt and gravel flying.

Lee ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login