TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-06-08          130648

Anyone ever heard of L & S Bush-hog and are they any
good, I found a 5' for $400.00.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bush Hog

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-06-08          130652

Never heard of them, but I will give you a couple of thoughts on bush hogs in general.

First, weight, more usually means better. The gear boxes are pretty standard over the counter items, the only place they can add (or take away) weight is with the amount of steel in the frame and case.

With a bush hog you generally want a very heavy-built unit, they lead a rough life.

Also look at the gear box and PTO shaft, you want a unit that is rated for plenty more power than you are going to feed it, again, heavier will last longer.

Best of luck. ....

Bush Hog

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-06-08          130659

It could be a product labelled for a company or even a small company that is or not any longer.

Be sure you can buy blades for it. Read the thread here on "new way to dig stumps" and you will understand Murf.

Bush Hog

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-06-08          130666

Murf and Ken are 100% right. I got a King Kutter 4 years ago and is started cracking at critical structural points. The gear box has been bullet-proof though. A good quality one is going to run you 2-3 times the cost of cheapy. I use mine commercially so I'm not easy on mine one bit (hence the cracks). So my advice is: if you're going to tear it up, buy a cheapy. Wnat to get alot of life out of it and will go easy on it spend the money. Either way you go be sure to keep the underside clean of grass buildup otherwise either one will be a hunk of rusted sheet metal. ....

Bush Hog

View my Photos
Murf

2006-06-14          130842

I have found through much "young employee testing" that the old ones seem much better built.

I have aquired, through auctions and stomping around dealers 'used' stuff, several 1950's Ford Bush hogs.

Most of them were pretty badly beaten and rusted, but rebuilt the decks out of heavy sheet metal and angle iron.

They are now nearly indestructible, those old machines were REALLY built tough!!

Best of luck. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login