Go Bottom

pwer down on post hole digger

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-08-14          133277

I have never seen a power down option installed on a 3 pt post hole digger. Tractor Supply's Blue Book shows a 3 pt post hole digger with a lug on top for a power down cyl and also show it has the option to install an extra weight for down force.

My question, where does the other end of the hyd cyl connect for the power down option?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-08-14          133280

Without seeing what you're looking at I'm only guessing here, but there are only so many ways to do it.

The Rhino PHD's use a lug near the gearbox, another on a longer arm, mounted at the boom pivot point, which stands up vertically and has two arms hanging down a little which catch the arch that mounts to the 2 lower points of the 3pth. By extending the cylinder it forces the angle between the arch and the boom pole to change, this causes a downward force on the auger bit.

IMHO, a hyd. drive and mounting it on the FEL is way better bang for your buck.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2006-08-14          133281

Look on pg 21 of this manual, the cylinder connects to parts on the PHD only, the tractor is not involved ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
Murf

2006-08-14          133287

"the cylinder connects to parts on the PHD only, the tractor is not involved"

Is that not what I said, or was I confusing in my description?

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2006-08-14          133288

I was just reiterating what you said and refering to what was illustrated in the manual ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-08-14          133297

Thank you guys. I had to look at picture and read Murf's description to fully understand what is done. Does that make much difference?

Boy if you want cartoons, read the warning decals in the manual. Sad, but they are there because somebody has done that.

Murf, I agree with your thought on the fel. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2006-08-14          133301

It was a "not quite enough caffiene morning, so I wasn't sure I was getting my point across or not.

It is one of those, it's better than nothing, but not by much kind of deals.

The two things that make or break it with a PHD is a) down-pressure, the more the better, and b) reverse, as Ann recently discovered, a few seconds of reverse rotation can save hours of frustration, sweating and cursing.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-08-14          133304

Was really just wondering. I keep seeing it here but have never seen it on one.

Again thank both of you. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-08-14          133309

I wonder how much weight would have to be added to match the benefit of the power down cylinder.

Strikes me, I am doing too much wondering. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2006-08-15          133335

Let me put it this way, my neighbour weighs about 250 pounds, he put a big old 6' long railway spud bar through the mounting boss on top a borrowed PHD, then hung from the end trying to help it go down.

It did boo all .....

He then went out and hired one of those Mr. Posthole guys to drill the holes for him. The kid showed up with a BX with a PHD with down-pressure, he took about 5 minutes a hole.

I'm a believer.

Kenneth, if it helps any, call it cogitating instead of wondering, it makes it sound more noble......

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-08-15          133339

I like drivers best, second if they aren't an option is a hydraulic drive off a loader boom or on the end of a hoe! ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-08-15          133348

Art,

does the driver work well for shrubs? Just cogitating (boy I hope Murf gave me a good word).

You fellows are all right more ways than one. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login