Go Bottom

pine tree planter

View my Photos
jerryc101
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-09-15          135207

Does anyone outthere know how to make a tree planter, or where to buy one. I have 10 acres that i have prepared for planting this fall/spring, i know how to plant individually but several thousand is out of the question for my old back.

appriciate any information

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

pine tree planter

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-09-16          135212

Jerry; Check with the USDA Soil Conservation office, They either will have one to use or rent, or they will know where to find one. Best of luck. Frank. ....

pine tree planter

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-09-16          135215

I see you're in AR. Are you close to any Weyerhaeuser pine plantations? If so, your best bet would be to hire one of the local tree planting contractors or one of their workers. I've never seen pine trees planted any other way but by hand. A good tree planter can plant 2,000 trees a day. ....

pine tree planter

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-09-16          135217

Billy, have you ever seen how they replanted after Mt. St. Helens erupted? An airplane flew over the area and dropped "tree bombs", little self-contained seedling packages that burrowed into the ground. Probably a little expensive for 10 acres though. ....

pine tree planter

View my Photos
Billy

2006-09-16          135218

No, Ken, I didn't see that. I bet that was a sight to behold. ....

pine tree planter

View my Photos
yooperpete

2006-09-18          135239

Wish you were closer. I have an old one left over from the depression days when they have work crews. Basically it is a double wing plow followed by a metal seat for someone to stuff in seedlings and then a reverse plow an opening so not to bend over the planted tree. ....

pine tree planter

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-09-18          135241

I think Hardwood has you covered but many states have a publication by their Dept of Agriculture with ads in it. You probably can search your State's Dept of Agri web site and find it. Often you will find people who offer such services in there.

pine tree planter

View my Photos
Chief

2006-09-18          135253

Jerry, as much as I hate to say this................ you need about 500 Mexicans planting the seedlings. I was forced to throw out about 40,000 International Paper Super Tree seedlings earlier this summer because I just did not have the time or wear with all to plant them. When you plant a seedling every 10 square feet; that adds up to a LOT of trees to plant. What is REALLY frustrating is that if you don't plant them with seedling protector tubes, the deer will decimate them. ....

pine tree planter

View my Photos
Billy

2006-09-18          135254

Come on Randy. 3 or 4 good Mexican tree planters could knock 10 acres out in a day easy. :) ....

pine tree planter

View my Photos
Chief

2006-09-18          135255

I was making a bit of "Silvicultural" jest Billy. ;O) In my case, I never stood a chance as my wife called me from work and told me that International Paper had a refridgerated tractor trailer load of seedlings they were throwing out. I figured I would pickup a box or two. (each box hold 1,000 seedlings) I ended up taking about 40 boxes thinking I might be able to give them away to my neighbors. I didn't get many takers. ....

pine tree planter

View my Photos
Murf

2006-09-18          135256

In case the need arises again, an old one bottom plow makes a dandy tree planter.

Lay open a single row, then go back along side it, the other direction with the plow raised up so it only rolls the soil back into the furrow. Then walk along with a track spade, flipping open a space and drop in a seedling every so many feet.

Once the ground has been disturbed like this making a small void to put a seedling in is VERY easy.

If at all possible however, anywhere the land is not flat, always try to arrange the rows such that the furrows are 90° to the slope, running side-slope. This way when it rains, the water is collected by the disturbed soil and delivered to the seedlings roots. It also prevents the furrows from becoming ditches and eroding the soil from around the seedlings.

Best of luck. ....

pine tree planter

View my Photos
kyvette

2006-09-18          135260

Jerry, If the seedlings aren't too long you could use an old tobacco setter. The setter allows you to sit and place a plant into fingers that open as they pass between the seats. You lay the plant in the open finger and the setter opens a hole in the dirt, inserts the plant, a shot of water, and then covers the hole.

For this to be effective the soil must be tilled as the setter cannot plant in hard ground. You will also need a tractor to pull the setter (or a horse) and a water container.

I have spent many an hour riding a setter planting tobacco plants and at the end of the patch we would plant a row or two of tomato plants.

Dave

Go Top

Share This

Member Login