Go Bottom

Planters

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-10-31          136438

Looking for suggestions, feedback on 2 and/or 4 row planters. For such as corn, soybeans and peanuts. Row of 36 inch. This is not a need right now, rather planning on replacing current older planters in year or two.

Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Planters

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-10-31          136440

The 36" rows is consistant with older planters in our area. There has been a lot of changes in the planter units and if you decide to go with a shoe planter or what is called a runner opener be sure you can still get them. At best they will be expensive. They are not the best for fast germination but they will get the seed into the ground. You should look at the seed that you will be using as to if you might want to stay with a plate style planter with a fixed seed size. Air is the system most used today by either blowing or sucking with little to alter the seed size. The most respected system for putting the seed into the ground is the Case-IH system as it doesn't disturb the moisture level of the soil. It just depends on what you want out of the planter as to how far you can go. Good Luck Ken! ....

Planters

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-10-31          136458

Here in Iowa two row planters are nonexistent and four rows that are any good are hard to come by. The general rule anymore is the flatter the land the wider the planters with 12 and 16 row the most common and a few 24 and a rare 36 row now and then. For example in the hilly dairy part of north east Iowa quite a few 4 and a lot of 6 row planters are used in the smaller odd shaped fields. I 'm just trying to give you a bit of a lead where you most likely would find a smaller planters. I know nothing about planting peanuts, but likely the air planters have a drum for a Case-IH or a seed disc for a Deere or Kinze that is meant to use for peanuts, a dealer could tell you for sure. Best of luck. Frank. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login