Go Bottom

PTO-driven air compressor

View my Photos
Joe Padavano
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-03-16          13819

Does anything like a PTO-driven air compressor exist? I need to erect a couple of miles of four-board fencing, and the framing nailer is already on order. Obviously I can buy or rent a small gas-powered compressor, but that's no fun. I have a 1 HP electric air compressor which I was considering modifying to drive the compressor with a belt from the PTO. I'd obviously need to correctly size the pulleys so that the compressor was driven at the same speed as it was with the electric motor. The one question, of course, is how to control the compressor when the tank reaches the max pressure. The electric system uses a pressure switch to shut off the motor. I was thinking of adapting an electric clutch, such as used on an automotive A/C compressor, to effectively do the same thing. Yes, by the time I'm done, I will have invested more time and money that just buying the gas-powered compressor, but that's not the point.Any thoughts?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Reginald W. Lamson

2000-03-17          13841

Joe,why not a pto driven generator to run your compressor and all kinds of other tools.Might even run your house in a power outage. ....

View my Photos
Joe Padavano

2000-03-17          13843

Mainly, the PTO generators cost more than a gas powered air compressor. ....

View my Photos
al

2000-03-17          13846

northern hydraulics had one in their catalog in the past 2 years you need to check with them. ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-03-17          13848

Joe, hold your (diesel powered) horses a minute. The easy (read cheap) way to do it is to make (or scavenge your local auto-wreckers) a mount to run the compressor off the fan-belt of your tractor, then the 3pth is free to carry a big honkin' air tank, etc. While you are at the wreckers scam a 12v. electric clutch from an auto a/c unit, hook it up to the pressure relief valve....voila, a compressor....Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Nuclear_Weapon7

2000-03-18          13871

All Belarus tractors sold in PAKISTAN during early 1990's had air compressors along with tank as standard equipment which they dont have now. It was either directly driven by the engine or through fan belt but not PTO. Why dont other tractor manufactures offer air compressor as optional equipment on their tractors ? Tractors can have a flat tire in many inhospitable places.

View my Photos
Bill

2000-03-19          13926

Joe, Al is correct that Northern Tools and Equipment do sell pre-made generators for the tractor. The also sell all the gooddies to make a compressor, including the controls. I, like you, felt that I wanted a challenge, and built a generator using some scavanged bearings, two pullies, a shaft made in a machine shop for free, and some scrap metal welded at a buddies. Opps forgot the splined shaft adaptor purchased at a dealer locally. Fun project and it works well. Cost about 850 including the 10,000 watt generator. Lots cheaper than either the PTO genset, or a deisel driven independent genset. Seems as though your project is already well into the planning stage. Would just make a 3 pt platform to hold a compressor and air tank, and use your clutch idea and go for it. I dunno if the small compressors have an option for what are called unloaders(lift the intake valve with air pressure and let the compressor idle when it reaches pressure. Would be a very simplfied solution. No clutch involved. I know it works much better on our big compressors at work, saves electric motors but it is slighly more expensive) Sounds like a fun project as well! Let us know how you do!! Good Luck! Bill ....

View my Photos
Joe Padavano

2000-03-20          13963

I just had a great idea for the PTO-driven compressor. First, as Bill suggested, I was planning to hand the tank off the 3PTH, and run a V belt from the PTO to the compressor. No, the small electric compressors don't have the intake unloader feature (I assume that's like the compression release on my JD850), however, what if I use a pneumatic cylinder plumbed to the compressor tank to release an idler pulley on the drive belt. In other words, I could put a spring loaded idler on the belt, then set up the pneumatic cylinder to raise the pulley against the spring load when the pressure reached the shutoff point. This is exactly the way the the "clutch" works on my JD lawn tractor (with a pedal instead of a pneumatic cylinder). ....

View my Photos
Bill

2000-03-21          14023

Joe, It may work, but you would have to have a similar type valve to the one used for the unloader on the large compressor. Should not be expensive, it is small, but I don't know that for sure. This valve holds back pressure until the set air pressure is reached then opens full air pressure to the unloaders. If you didn't have this, the slow rise of air pressure against the spring would cause the belt to slip, squeel like a pig and burn. Might just work with that valve though! should be able to find one at a local Ingersol Rand Dealer or the like. Let us know! Good Luck!!!
Bill ....

View my Photos
Nuclear_Weapon7

2000-03-23          14081

Why dont you fellows sell the drawings for these air compressors to cadplan.com so other ppl can also build these.

View my Photos
Essambin99

2014-01-20          188708

In Ethiopia as well all Belarus tractors sold were with air compressor driven be fun belt. It is very important especially in very remote areas where their is infrastructure. Would you please give me an idea where to get such type of compressor (manufacturer) which can be operated by any tractor type (Brand)? ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login