Go Bottom

Bent landscape rake

View my Photos
roadmaster98
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-03-06          140247

I backed into a tree and bent my 6ft rake.It bent 5 tines and twisted the angle iron the tines are atched to.Anybody have any ideals on how to bend it back into shape? Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bent landscape rake

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-03-07          140256

Roadmaster98; When you speak of the anglw iron the teeth are attached to do you mean the main horizontal crossmember that all the teeth are attached to? If this is the case take it to a blacksmith shop or someone with a torch who can heat it enough to bend it back into shape, it is made of common mild steel and will straighten easily with some heat and likely be fine. The teeth on the other hand are spring steel like the leaf spring on a car, if you heat it enough to bend it back you will destroy the temper in the steel, then when the tooth catches something it will just bend and stay bent. Your dealer can get replacement teeth for the ones you bent. Best of luck. Frank. ....

Bent landscape rake

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-03-09          140333

I have used two large pipe wrenches either side of the bend with mild heat on the bend, then use the wrenches to bend her back (I've done this too by welding long pipes to the piece instead of wrenches). The key is securing the rake in place so you can apply enough leverage without chasing it around the yard. If it's really bent and you have a welder, either relief-cut the bend and weld the gap. Or cut out the bent portion and weld in a new piece of angle.

After you get it straightened, consider adding another equal-length piece of angle to make it into a box section. Otherwise, you'll keep having this problem. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login