Go Bottom

Implement to use

View my Photos
sesails
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-04-01          140929

Have about twenty acres that's being cleared of old pines and dead wood. It's about done and would like to begin shaping the ground for grass seed. Lots of ruts and very uneven ground from removing stumps. The hols have all been filled in but depressions still remain. Some roots present, and an abundance of sticks and twigs. Very little rocks or stones. (North Georgia)

Should I use a box blade, rake, or disc harrow, flexible harrow or another implement before bringing in another piece of equipment for a finish grade?
Would I be better off doing this finish grading myself by purchasing another implement?
Appreciate any advice as I'm new to all of this.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Implement to use

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-04-02          140934

Sesails; Wow, twenty acres of what you describe is going to be quite a DIY project. I notice on your profile that you are wanting to get into beef cattle. If you can maybe level out some of the holes, humps, etc. to a level with a dozer, heavy loader or something, I'd use a light disc to work some pasture mix into the soil, run the beef cows on it a fewe years till nature breaks down the roots, sticks etc., then it will be lots easier to level things up with what ever equipment is needed. Roots still connected to the soil are a bear to deal with, given some time mother nature will help you out a bunch. perhaps someone else has a better solution. Best of luck. Frank. ....

Implement to use

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-04-02          140940

Sesails, as Hardwood points out time will take care of roots or many of them. There is room for variance here, I read you had dead trees and stumps removed. Does that mean most roots are gone at least those of size? Or must you remove them? If so I would consider a bull dozer with a root rake to remove the root trash.

You may find it beneficial to hire someone with a large tractor and heavy disk to first disk it cut roots your tractor and disk can not.

If the land is clear of large roots and stumps, you probably with patience (slow and over and over) can get it in good shape yourself. If you will slowly work the dirt with a disk or new ground cultivators (spring loaded shanks and small plows) a few inches at the time to loosen it and they will also do some leveling and then finish grade with either blade or field cultivator set up. Take your time, loosen the dirt with disk or such 2 to 4 inches and level and then do it over and over until you have what you want. You may be able to used something behind a disk or spring loaded cultivators to help level the just lossen dirt as you go. Many farmers do.

Been there done that, patience and time. If you have small stumps or large roots watch your tires, wood will damage your tractor very quickly. kt ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login