Go Bottom

BEFCO finish mower problem

View my Photos
Blueman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-05-03          141748

OK, 6' Befco rear mower, doesn't discharge well at all...and it is bogging down, and belt is slipping. Any suggestions?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-05-03          141749

The drive belt is either worn out, or just so old and hard that it is slipping.

If the belt doesn't look to be in bad condition, that is, there are NO; cords showing, let alone hanging out, of the sides of it, there are cracks visible in the rubber and there is no other damage visible to the belt, you can apply some "belt dressing" spray to it and retighten it.

If you don't have an owners manual for it, I'll try to explain the belt tension for you. There are three pulleys under the belt cover, the driven pulleyt beneath the gearbox, and then two more on the outsides, one mounted on each of the other two blade quills. Generally you want about 3/4" deflection in the two shorter runs of belt with about 10 pounds of force applied to the belt. Be sure to check the SHORT runs not the long back run.

Usually, the belt slipping means it's time for a new one.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Blueman

2007-05-03          141750

Murf, good to see you on the board again! Thanks for the info...I know I need to check the belt. I suppose the design of this mower is different than some rear finish mowers in that it simply doesn't discharge much grass...I've used a couple of others that discharge the grass better, and are more efficient because of it. I took the safety chains off the back of the mower thinking it would discharge better, and that didn't really change anything. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2007-05-03          141752

Thanks for the kind words.

In the VAST majority of cases, airflow has more to do with the blades than anything else.

If you flip a bunch of different mowers over you will see there isn't much difference between them in design.

You might want to try a more aggressive blade (more height), a typical 6' side discharge deck should fire a pretty good stream of clippings out the discharge. Rear discharge decks are a different animal.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login