Go Bottom

down pressure for 3pth

View my Photos
cowman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-08-12          144632

looking for help with an idea i have. I would like to mount a large tree spade to the 3pth of my jd 7410. The problem is that the arms have no down pressure and the spade would just lift out of the ground. A mast assembly would work but they seem rather costly and clumsy if i could come up with a way to lock the oil in the cylinders or make them double acting it would help. any ideas

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

down pressure for 3pth

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-08-12          144633

A friend has a 3pt spade. It has casters on the rear and is very heavy. As far as down pressure, I'm not sure how he did it, but I have to think that you could have single- acting cylinders go from the lower arms to the top link area (geometrically to triangulate). The other way would be to go from the toplink ara down to the drawbar/hitch area on the rear axle--even a chain or solid bar would work in this case. ....

down pressure for 3pth

View my Photos
leejohn
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-08-12          144634

Try hooking up with the draft control?? Not sure if that well work. Lee ....

down pressure for 3pth

View my Photos
Murf

2007-08-13          144646

My tree spades work because of 2 things in their favour.

First, they're heavy, REALLY heavy, so the blade goes down instead of the spade going up.

Secondly, the spades do not move all at once, each of 4 spades moves independent of the others, once a single spade is in the ground, it sort of anchors the rest of the unit. Often, usually in dry ground, we have to try different spades to see which one wants to go down the easiest, once that one is in it adds enough resistance to allow the others to go down.

I wonder at your choice of putting it on the 3pth though, IMHO they are much easier on the FEL. My 43" spade only weighs about 2,000 pounds, and with the root ball, a little under 3,500 pounds. With the down-force on the FEL it never has an issue.

If you have not already chosen a spade the manufacturer has a lot to do with it too, ours are made by a local company and have a special hydraulic circuit that locks the spade against the upper link to basically lock the 3pth in the down position. In order to raise the 3pth mounted spade, it has lift the whole rear end of the tractor too.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login