Go Bottom

Stone Rake

View my Photos
Lloyd1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-07-21          155475

Hi! I have about 2 acres in the mountains that I'm looking at getting logged. Supposed to get a call from the logger Wednesday with a quote.

Assuming I do this, I'd like to clean up the mess once he is out of there. Looking for a low cost method, the price of a grapple bucket is probably too high for my one time use. Wondering if a stone rake might work to run around between the stumps and rake up the debre? Anybody tried this?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Stone Rake

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-07-21          155476

Lloyd,
I burnt about the last of logging debris this past weekend at my mother in laws. For two acres, if you will not have other work for the equipment, check on renting. For our clean up we used a small exacavator with thumb. Depending on the size of the debris a farm tractor can sure be beat up working with the debris. It is hard not to miss something and drive across it to flip up in at least the sheet metal or fan or such. kt ....

Stone Rake

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-07-21          155477

Lloyd; I've did what you are looking at with an ordinary three Pt. landscape rake but the big stuff has to be gone first it won't handle big burly brush just the smaller two inch or smaller dia. branches. It works pretty well at sorting the stones and letting the soil thru between the tines but it has to be dry soil, in the mud it won't work. Something I lerarend real fast, don't pull up a biggger pile than the landscape rake will clear when you want to drop the pile and drive forward. If you have a regular front loader they work good a pushing brush up in a pile but, BE REAL CAREFULL, Brush has a habit of letting branch swing loose and hitting you when you're pushing it with a loader. Good luck, and be real carefull. Frank. ....

Stone Rake

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-07-21          155479

Since you're having it logged you might ask how much extra for them to use a big cat to pile up all the slash. If they want a couple extra $k to do it that seems cheap compared to equipment rental or wear and tear, fuel and days worth of work that might be better spent on other jobs. ....

Stone Rake

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-07-21          155485

Lloyd, reading Ken's suggestion brings a thought, depending on what you have on this land in the line of trees will affect what kind of equipement and offer you get. But if there is enough for a chipper to be brought in those crews at least here leave a clean job site as they want ever piece of wood. Regardless the front blade on a skidder can push the big stuff up, not as well as a bull dozier maybe but better then a fel will. Just package it that way. kt ....

Stone Rake

View my Photos
Lloyd1

2008-07-21          155486

Thanks everybody, sounds like it all makes sense. I'm doing this to open up my view off the mountain, but once cleared I'm going to have to stay after it otherwise I'll be back where I started in just a few years. I'm thinking they will not leave it ready for me to run the bushhof over it. Maybe we will see.

Cleaning up the mess might make a nice winter project, right now its too hot here to do much of anything.

Thanks again!

Go Top

Share This

Member Login