Go Bottom

Whisker Broom

View my Photos
Lwayne
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-07-08          172158

Has anyone ever used a front whisker broom for light snow removal on concrete? If they work the price is cheap ($1250) but I've never actually seen one work. We only need it for about 4000 square feet. I got an incredibly low price of $1800 for a York 6' pto model this spring on Craig's List used only four times from a guy in Maine . . . but when I told him there would be no problem picking it up as we have a driver who lives in Maine he quit returning my calls. Go figure.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Whisker Broom

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-07-08          172159

I'm not sure what you mean by "whisker broom" but if you mean a powered rotary broom, yes, we've used them on snow.

As long as the snow has not been driven or walked over prior to the sweeper getting to it, they work fine, but if the snow is even slightly packed down, forget it.

We use them at the shopping malls we maintain, but mostly only after the snow removal, to clear away excess sand & salt to reduce the floor cleaning inside the mall.

A blade will work a bunch faster and do a better job at snow removal though.

Best of luck. ....

Whisker Broom

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-07-08          172161

I've seen ads for a stationary broom, and doubted it would be as effective as a rotary or a blade. It would be easy on the machine and the ground surface, but try a long straight push with a hand push-broom. I'd expect a buildup in front of it. ....

Whisker Broom

View my Photos
Lwayne

2010-07-08          172163

Yeah, the statioary type is what I was referrring to. They might work well in certain situations but I doubt they'd be all that good for finish work. I saw a good idea at my local TSC store once. They had 1/2 an R1 tire laid flat with the bottom sidewall removed as well. They were pushing it (through appropriately spaced cut-outs) with a regular fork lift. There was no ice scraping going on but it sure kept the fresh snow from building up. Thanks for your input. ....

Whisker Broom

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-07-08          172165

Kinda neat with the 1/2 tire thing. I wonder if it were pulled and a spreader bar installed if it would grade too. ....

Whisker Broom

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-07-08          172169

I've saw rotary brooms used on light snow that did quite well but never saw a stationary one at all. That doesn't sound like it would work very well if there were more than a dusting of light snow.
The half tire thing I have saw used in place of the loader bucket to push sloppy cow manure down an alley way to a holding pit. It was juat a home made thing but it did an excellent job, unless the manure was too dried or frozen. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login