Go Bottom

Hydraulic Post Hole Digger Question

View my Photos
Trailbreaker
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2012-05-22          183616

I just took on a job that I am required to dig holes for 28 - 24"dia sonotubes 48" deep. I am looking at renting a New Holland C175 skid loader or a JD 110 backhoe. With the NH C175 I can get a 24" or 30" bit for the auger. I live in an area that has a fair amount of rocks. What would be the better piece of equipment to rent? I have used hydralic augers with 12" & 14" bits around here in the past and they worked great. I was wondering how these machines handle the larger auger bits (24"-30")? 14 of the holes are only 4ft apart so I was hoping the auger would work because digging them with the backhoe the holes may run into eachother. I think JD 110 can run the auger as well, that is also an option incase the auger gets stuck I can dig it out. Any input would be appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-05-23          183623

Those will be big holes and I don't know the relative heft of those two machines, but I'd prefer a skidsteer over a rear-hitch-mount anything. If you're stopped by a bolder, you should be able to get a hoe or maybe a tree-spade attachment for the skidder (or if it's not too deep, a couple guys with spades and prybars). ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-05-24          183637

If you are renting these from the same rental company they should be able to give you advice needed. Auerbach's comments make sense to me. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2012-05-24          183643

When you say "Hydraulic" post hole auger I am assuming you meant hydraulicly driven instead of a PTO drive. The hydraulic drive is superior because you can reverse it to get free of a rock or a root. In my limited experience with post hole augers roots not rocks were the biggest challenge. You are going to need a pretty hefty machine to turn an auger that big, but I would prefer the augered holes to a backhoe trench. If possible I would have a backhoe around to get you by the rocks and roots that stop the auger.

Frank. ....

View my Photos
Trailbreaker

2012-05-26          183648

Thanks for the input guys. Both machines are rated for I think up to a 36" auger.I like the idea of using the JD 110 backhoe just incase I do hit something I can always take the auger attachment off and use the backhoe bucket to help. My main goal is to keep my operating cost down and get the job done. Would it work to use a 12" auger first then the larger diameter auger? Almost like a pilot hole. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2012-05-26          183649

Because the auger's center-bit holds it in position before the flytes start biting, I'd guess no because with an empty 12" pilot hole you wouldn't have the "holding" effect from the bit. Maybe the mount would hold it steady enough for the flytes to grab, but not without strain, jumping, and skidding. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2012-05-28          183657

IMHO, you're going to be having a pretty tough time to make holes that size with something as small as a ~7,500 pound TLB.

We use a conical tree spade bit on a tractor that size all the time, the bit has a maximum width of 36" and a maximum depth of 48" but at the bottom it's only ~4" wide then it tapers out to full width.

Unless it's really light soil, you have to pull it up and spin it clear 5 or 6 times to make the hole, otherwise 3 or 4 times.

There's a world of difference trying to make full width holes of that size, that deep.

I would think an auger that size would take more grunt to chew through soil like that than a JD 110 TLB has. It would be a case of 'the tail wagging the dog'.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2012-05-30          183683

Murf, when you gave the weight of the TLB I realize one line needs to be added: don't forget to video. LOL

Stones or rocks in our ground are very rare and seldom from nature. Also have never used a bit near that large. Tree stumps and roots we have. In working in and around those if bit catches them right it just bascially grinds on them with little affect to machine or bit. Catch them just right where the fluting is screwing the bit into the ground like a large wood screw and you certainly need slower speed than you can imagine. The bit will screw into the ground and not dig a hole.

To me you need a heavy machine and low rpms and no one near that bit when digging.

Go Top

Share This

Member Login