Go Bottom

Tractor to Plow 3 acre fallow field

View my Photos
kirby337
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2012-09-12          184908

Thanx again guys for your recent advice on getting my tractor started after running out of fuel - This past weekend I got the tractor restarted and the battery cables reconnected -great feeling to get back to plowing/cultivating.
I would like to revisit a question I posted and got responses to last year . I have about 3 acres of level ground not plowed in 40 years 3 ft tall in quackgrass. First I have mowed the existing vegetation down to about 4 in high with my rough cut mower. Then I put on my seven tine cultivator to break up the roots and cultivate the ground. The tractor I have is a 4wd - 39 hp Jd tractor - sometimes when I'm cultivating the tractor boggs down and I have to increase the rpm to continue cultivating/plowing. I'm almost always plowing in 1st gear-4wd. The implement dealer in town has a 56 hp 2 wd drive tractor that he is willing to take my 4 wd 39 hp tractor in for trade on . My question is what is more important for power while cultivating or plowing - increased hp or the 4 wd ? what powers the cultivator-plow during field work the weight of the tractor-size of the wheels -hp of the tractor -4wd versus 2wd ? LIke I say the little 39 hp tractor that I have seems to bog down a little while plowing-cultivating and an increase in rpm seems to help it out-The other 2 wd 56 hp tractor does have larger wheels and more hp just not sure I will see any increase in power going up about 15 hp but going from 4wd back to 2wd - The neighbor who plowed my front 2 acres about 2 years ago used an old Jd 4020 and got nice deep furrows but thats a larger hp tractor and a more experienced farmer. I can hire him out again but enjoy learning how to do field work myself/ Thanx again-Peter

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-09-13          184909

Peter,

Your tractor is plenty big enough to handle 3 acres of land. I think the bigger issue you face is sizing your implements to suit your tractor's capabilities.

39 horses is plenty for plowing, so long as you don't try to pull a plow that's too big for your tractor.

Most farm implement books state that it takes about 1 horse per inch of plow, depending on soil type.

If you want to plow your land without constantly having to shift down, or raise and lower the 3-point hitch, size your plow about 20% below the maximum.

Try pulling a two-bottom, 14" plow. That should require about 28 horses. Your tractor should be able to pull that with no problem at all.

Ask your local dealer to schedule a field demo for you, or maybe he'll let you try it out before you buy.

By the way....I'd pass on the 2WD tractor. Keep your 4WD.

Hope this helps.

Joel ....

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-09-13          184910

Pound for pound you'll put more HP to the ground with the 4x4. You may want to add some weight if needed for tilling.

The bogging down issue? I am guessing you do not have the RPM up in the power band to start with. You should be up near the PTO RPM range maybe 3-400 below depending on the power band of your tractor.

When working the tractor I'm always up in the power band near or at PTO and a little more when brush hogging heavy growth. ....

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2012-09-13          184911

Kirby;

Hire the neighbor to plow the three acres there will be plenty of other things for you to do with a tractor.
Whatever you do don't give up your 4 WD in trade for a 2 WD. Eventually you will want a front end loader, a 2 WD can be miserable to operate with a loader.

Frank. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2012-09-13          184912

1) Keep your 4WD tractor
2) Run tractor at or near PTO speed when working
3) Right size implements for tractor
4) 40 year old field use neighbor for first plow if you have problems after that your tractor will be over kill for 3 acres

Go Top

Share This

Member Login