Go Bottom

track replacement

View my Photos
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-12-25          121722

Was wondering if anyone has replaced the entire tracks,pins,gears,etc. assembly on a small bulldozer.
I realize this is not the bulldozer forum, but
thought I might get more response on here. I have
a D-20-A Komatsu bulldozer and need to replace
both sides in the next year or so. The assemblies
for both sides will run me about 3 grand. Was
wondering if anyone else had tackled this project.
I have all the books etc. and just need an idea
if it is something I can do.
thanks
doc

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

track replacement

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-12-26          121726

Generaly you can send the tracks out and have the pins turned, rather than buy new track. Depends how worn the growsers are if you need to replace them. The segments are not a big deal. But you might need a good hot wrench to do some of this work, in addition to a good 3/4 in drive sockets and HD air wrenches. ONLY use factory new fastners and TORQUE to specs.

Price a new track then price the components and the labor is all: size 3 hat, 54 jacket stuff. ....

track replacement

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-12-26          121733

It has been awhile but I have done track rebuilds on a Deere 450C and 555. It is a very time consuming job but with the correct tools which Harvey has gone over, I think you can do it. It was a matter of replacing pins, pin bushings, NEW fasters (nut & bolt) and track shoes. I take that you will also be doing the track rollers as well? May as well while you have everything apart. Most of the job I was able to do with my 1/2 drive CP airgun but the bigger hardware like the drive sproket bolts you will very likely require a 3/4 inch drive airgun. You probably will not have a total cost idea until you disassemble everything and inspect it to determine if it is worth rebuilding or if it is just too far gone. In some cases you just have no other choice than to replace the entire assembly. Anyhow, good luck on your project and post some pics! ....

track replacement

View my Photos
Peters

2005-12-26          121735

Dennis has a Komatsu link set up under construction, although we do not get a lot of traffic.
I am afraid I have only helped with track replacement. You can use a bar on a 3/4 inch sockets with extensions but need a couple of people to help. Why did I always look like the beef? ....

track replacement

View my Photos
wr5evk8jj

2005-12-26          121737

After my first marriage ending about a year after it started in the early ‘80’s, I was living with my dad for several months recovering from being cleaned-out. I did not want to do move in with him, but he offered. He could not stand my first wife anyway, so that was his way of helping me get back on my feet. Yep, getting married that first time was a mistake from the very beginning.

During that time, dad was about to retire in about a year from Mercury Marine as a Zone Sales Manager (he was a former farmer, owned a tractor dealership along while farming, and had been a Zone Sales Manager for Allis-Chalmers Farm Division and then the Industrial Division); this last territory was most of LA and most of TX with him living in Nacogdoches, TX. Looking to doing something with his time after retirement, he bought a slightly-sloping parcel of land south of town that had a house and a trailer on it. That parcel of land was worked by the both us to become a trailer park; I was the resident manager after it got going. He also bought a liquor store right around when he retired; he was the owner and the day manager and I was the evening manager.

The future trailer park had to be terraced for trailer parking spots. That either required the terracing to be contracted or “do-it-yourself.” My dad chose the long way. He had located a very used JD 350 flat-track crawler with a multitude of major problems: rust, bad injectors, blown headgasket in one of the three cylinders, clutches needing replacement, the right side track adjuster leaking, the chain “shot,” and the rear drive sprockets “worn out.” I guess the price was right. From the rust and all, I think it came out of a salt pit in south Texas somewhere. Anyway, it was a project that he and I tackled mostly. With a cutting torch, we cut off all the bolts attaching each tracks’ plates to the chain saving all of the plates. We cut off each side’s chain into manageable lengths. Replaced the drive sprockets. Replaced each side’s chain. Reattached the plates with all new hardware (using an impact wrench). I got the head redone, got the injectors cleaned and checked-out having to buy a new one. Got the head back on and retorqued. Got it started up with virtually no problems. This was all done in his two and half car garage; to get it in there, we had to take off the muffler. The only thing remaining was to get it loaded-up taking it to the local JD dealer (in Lufkin) to get the clutches replaced. I don’t have any of the cost figures as that was back in the early ‘80s, but I do remember it took us about a month of daily spare time.

After all the work was done, it was a great crawler. We used the snot out of it for creating all the terraces for each of the trailer parking spots. That is when I learned a few more things about dirt work with my father. He showed me how to start a terrace using a log or timber under the downslope side of the crawler to start the terrace leveling. We trenched for the gas line, water main, and sewer lines in each parking spot. He sold the crawler about two years later with the gooseneck trailer; that was after I relocated to the Dallas area. He kept the trailer park until passing away in mid-96 (when I was in Australia the first time).

One interesting or maybe humorous tidbit about him. I was coming home one evening after working there at the liquor store; this was in the trailer park that I was then managing. My place was in the back right corner of the property. Coming up along this right hand drive way, I saw the crawler on the trailer parked up alongside my trailer. In the shadows I saw this crumpled V-shaped piece of blue metal; it was my dad’s Ford Crew-Cab pickup’s tailgate. He told me the next day that he dropped-off the crawler. He disconnected the trailer from the truck, but forgot to drop the tailgate. I guess that you know what happened when he started to pull away. I can still envision the mannerisms and hear the “french” that came from him when that one happened. He’s probably really glad that I was not there to tell him just how good that he really did it (as only a son can do). ....

track replacement

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2005-12-27          121780

"He showed me how to start a terrace using a log or timber under the downslope side of the crawler to start the terrace leveling."

Nice story wr5. Projects built upon projects. It sounds like you didn't have the benefit of a six-way blade. :)
Dave ....

track replacement

View my Photos

2005-12-27          121802

Chief
I will need to replace entirely. Turning the pins is not an option, as the wear is that bad. I picked this bulldozer up cheap because the guy didnt want to replace this stuff. I will replace everything I can, as I expect it to last me the rest of my life. I dont use it alot each year, but dont want the tracks coming off and I am afraid that is what will happen if I continue long. I was told I can get the entire assembly for each side already put together(or as much as possible), then it is a matter of taking off the old, replacing the gears and whatever else looks to need replacing. The rest of the dozer is in good shape(engine,blade,hydraulics,transmission,etc), so it is
worth doing.
doc ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login