Go Bottom

Getting rid of old tractor

View my Photos
77simplicity
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-01-21          123170

Well im going to trade in my tractor to the tractor junkyard rear end went out again today getting sick of fixing it. And im going to trade it in for another tractor maybe hydrostatic not belt driven. Im thinking a small cub cadet maybe a 10 horse somthing that needs a little work. And i will probably build it up to be a big off road tractor i am just sick of fixing things i need one that wont break down all the time. Any suggestions on the type of tractor i should get? thanks jeff

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
JAZAK5

2006-01-21          123177

the higher end cub cadets with shaft drive are hard to beat,no belts to pop off and are also hydrostatic

you can buy a few cheapies or one that will last. ....

View my Photos
DK35vince

2006-01-21          123181

Maybe its just me. But I don't see what the gain is with shaft drive vs belt drive on a garden tractor.
I purchased a used 1979 C-101 Wheel Horse garden tractor in 1986 ( I've owned it and used it for the last 20 years and still use it today).
My Wheel Horse is belt drive, and I have never broke a drive belt, never thrown a drive belt, I've never even replaced the drive belt in the 20 years I've owned the tractor.
Tractor is 27 years old and still works and runs great.
I also own a 1980 Wheel Horse C-145 hydro that is belt drive. I've owned it for many years also. Same thing, never had a single isssue with the drive belt, and never replaced a drive belt.
26 years old, still running and working great.. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-01-21          123184

It may be a little extreme but a good test of shaft to belt that seems to seperate them quite a bit is to hook up to a ten wheeler or a 15,000lb farm tactor. I know this isn't normal service but it will show the difference and the cadets will move them! A local house trailer, modular company used to use shaft drive Cadets to move the trailers in the plant from one assembly area to the other. They bought our used for the believe it or not and had no troubles just rolled them out every four years.. Their help bought them and put the decks back on and went mowing. The hydro is the saver on the belts here as even Simplicity had a lifetime drive belt warrantee for the original owner. ....

View my Photos
DK35vince

2006-01-21          123189

I've never tryed to pull a mobile home or a ten wheeler with my belt drive machines. But both of my belt drive garden tractors will run out of power or run out of traction (even with the chains and wheel weights on)and never slip a drive belt.
Traction and power are my limiting factors, never the drive belt. ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-01-21          123194

I put a 2 inch ball hitch on my 12HP shaft drive Gravely and pull a 5x8 utility trailer up and down hills in my yard. Very handy. Bring things home with my Jeep Cherokee and the utility trailer, then hook the trailer up to the Gravely and tow around the yard. I'm hoping my Gravely lasts as long as I do! ....

View my Photos
77simplicity

2006-01-21          123206

My drive belt would always fall off and slip i had it adjusted right it was snug not to loose not too tight all my gaurds are in place and positioned properly too. I just had it with belt drive the model of cub i am going to a model 73. I have a model 107 already it runs and drives good but its really bad on gas and i blew somthing in the rear end its hydrostatic and now it leaks hydrostatic oil. The 73 has a 7 horse motor it is hydrostatic my 107 is 10 horse. I think that the 73 would be a better riding around tractor because it would be better on gas i wouldnt be asking for the mower deck just for the snowblower if he has it. Im getting the battery out of the simplicity before i trade it in i will just show him it runs first. Whats it mean if they have a cub cadet labled under hydrostatic and its a gearshift transmission? What should i look out for? thanks for your help jeff. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-01-22          123221

But both of my belt drive garden tractors will run out of power or run out of traction (even with the chains and wheel weights on) and never slip a drive belt.
Traction and power are my limiting factors, never the drive belt.
DK35vince
I have slipped the drive belts on my 66 bolens 850 a time or 2 but it takes an awful lot to do It.
The way I look at it I'd rather slip a belt than twist off an axle which I've done 3 times in the 40 years I've owned the Bolens.

BUDGET HOMES CO.
http://www.hubcapcafe.com/ocs/pages01/chev5003.htm MY FIRST CAR
http://www.hubcapcafe.com/ocs/pages01/chev6003.htm OUR FIRST CAR

View my Photos
77simplicity

2006-01-22          123239

I pulled the simplicity into the garage today to have a look and the pin that holds the left part of the axle is broke. I maybe might not have to get rid of it at all i just need a pin because without the pin the whole axle comes out if i just pull on it and when it gets pulled out its not getting any power to that wheel thus its not moving. I know this because i got the axle lined up and pounded it in lightely with the hammer got it off of the stands with the wheels on and drove it back to the shed. I think this should be a fairly easy fix just need a new pin. I guess i will try to fix this again instead of trading it in for a tractor that probably doesnt even run in the first place. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login