Go Bottom

First-time buyer

View my Photos
RDugald
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-02-08          12638

Seeking advice for my first tractor purchase. My anticipated needs for the tractor are mowing (approx 5 acres with some trees to manuever), snow removal, spraying full size fruit trees, residential landscaping, gravel driveway maintenance, tilling of a large garden plot, hauling materials around the lot, etc. Some basic topics I'm seeking input on are new vs. used, gas vs. diesel, tractor size, tractor brand. Some specific items I am wondering about are the differences between the JD 4000 series and the 700 series (I heard that the 700 series offers a lower price, but I am not sure what you lose out on to get that price). Also, I am wondering if anyone has thoughts on the new Kubota BX2200 "subcompact" tractor - might this be a good choice? what might I be sacrificing in the subcompact vs. a traditional compact? Finally, any recommendations for dealers of new and used equipment in Michigan (preferably SE Mich)? Thanks.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

First-time buyer

View my Photos
SteveofNJ

2000-02-08          12646

790 owner. I saw the 4100 sitting next (and down) from me when sitting on the 790. The 790 has a larger engine, larger tires, althought the 4200 comes a little closer to the 790. However, you pay a lot more for a 4200 and a loader, than I paid for my 790. If you don't mind GST, then I don't know why you would buy the 4000 series. My 790 is a dream to run, and does all you want and more. Good luck, and I would encourage JD over Kubota if you are comparing a 790 to anything they have in the 14k price range. The L2500 is nice, but I don't like slide shifter. Anyway..... ....

First-time buyer

View my Photos
TomG

2000-02-09          12651

New or used? With used you inherit somebody's problems; with new you can inherit some engineer's problem. Check the threads on JD 4000 scuffing or Kubota loader contol freezing etc. I went used because of the lower up-front cost. I got a 500 hour tractor and fixed a few problems. I expect to put about 100 hours a year on the tractor. At that rate, it should be many years before I can expect huge maintenance costs. If I was spending 12 hour days working fields, I probably would have gone new.

Disel or gas? Disels last a long time and have low fuel costs. It's cold here in Northern Ontario, and mine starts OK with some heaters. Disels do have some extra maintenance routines to go through.

Size and power? Tough compromise given your list of activities. Big hp generally means big size. Big and small tractors can do most of the same things. Small ones take longer. The implements are smaller and you go slower. On the other hand, maneuvering a big tractor can eat up a lot of time, and some times you just can't get the tractor there. A big tractor plus maneuvering also will tear up a lawn no matter what tires are used.

Sounds like small may be better as long as the loader will lift what you want. However, a box scraper is real handy for maintaining gravel drives, and box scrapers take power and traction. One way of dealing with the power size thing is to decide on what implements you want and go to dealer or manufacture web sites. Many sites list recommended hp ranges for their products. If you settle on how much power, then you can get opinions about turf damage, maneuverability etc. on particular machines.

Couple of things you didn't mention are 2 or 4wd and hydrostatic vs manual transmission. IMO 4wd is almost a necessity in a compact. Compacts don't have the weight to develop a lot of traction from the rear wheels, and you probably don't want to fiddle with ballast every time more traction is needed. I've never used a hydrostatic transmission so I don't have an opinion, but there have been long discussion about them here and on tractorbynet. ....

First-time buyer

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

2000-02-10          12675

As if you didn't have enought to think about, I'll give you a little more.
First, I too have looked at the Kubota's Sub-compact unit, and personally I think its a novel idea. With its smaller size..it stands a good chance of meeting the needs of many homeowners..maybe even a landscaper who has special needs/requirements which demand more than a lawn tractor, but less than a regular compact. We only have 2 acres, and if I didn't have the "farm boy" blood, the BX would probably more than meet our needs. But I felt it was a bit smaller than I wanted to go, heck I wanted the 4300! As far as resale.. again..OMO, but you will face a smaller crowd looking for something like this. The chores you mentioned for your 5 acres would lead me in the direction of no less than a JD4100 or a Kubota Bxxxx. I didn't go with the JD 7 series because JD is planning to eventually remove them from the line-up. As far as the Gear vs. Hydro, that one's gotta be your call. I've used both flavors under numerous conditions and would choose the Hydro 90% of the time over a Gear. And like most conveniences, it comes at a price. We settled on a JD4100 w/loader,mower and it was the right choice for "us". ....

First-time buyer

View my Photos
larry

2000-02-10          12679

For what its worth, years ago I was exposed to academic literature indicating that used equipment (cars were the item used for the research)sells at a considerable discount as compared to "actual value". This was due to the perception that its for sale because of problems with the equipment (car) and this drove down the price. I cannot quote you the source any longer but from an economic point of view it has merit. Translation: you'll probably get more bang for the buck with used equipment. ....

First-time buyer

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-02-11          12700

Welcome to the tractor group! If I were you, I'd go for as much compact tractor as you can afford. Think of how large of one that you can use and still fit your property rather than how small of one you can get away with. In tractors, Horsepower and physical size go hand in hand. The 20 to 40 HP range is right for your property. The prices are very stable and you can waste a lot of time looking for a deal that is 20% better. This deal would be very easy to find in the world of used automobiles, but is almost non-existant in tractors. Of course this also protects you when you sell the machine. Used vs new? That is up to you. As I say, the prices are pretty constant. Personally I'd go for recent used, 4wd, loader and power steering, and look for a JD, Kubota, Massey Ferguson, Older Ford, New Holland or Cub Cadet. I think I've just named the most popular brands, and they are all good, the differences are small, they are all extrememly reliable. Choose between them with confidence and how you feel about the dealer. Gas vs Diesel? Easy. There are no recent tractors that use gas. They are all diesel. If it is made in the last 15 years and uses gas it probably is not what you want. A more confusing question is whether to buy a compact 4wd tractor at all....or one of the older small American made farm utility tractors. These are often gasoline, 2wd, and much cheaper than the imported compacts. As for the JD 4000 vs 700, the answer is that the 700 is JD's older more basic (and bulletproof) tractor that will be eventually phased out in favor of the 4000 series which has niftier bells and whistles. There is not a thing wrong with the 700 series, the prices are great on them right now.

First-time buyer

View my Photos
By the Brook Farm

2000-02-12          12731

I echo Roger's advice regarding getting the largest compact you can afford. Not too many folks posting on this board complaining that their tractor is too powerful and they want to trade it in for a smaller one. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login