Go Bottom

Gear transmissions

View my Photos
Harry Webster
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-02-11          12702

Could someone please explain to me how a gear transmission works on a compact tractor. I assume its not the same as driving a gearshift truck. How important are the number of gears, what is a collar shift, shuttle shift, sliding gear?HarryW

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Gear transmissions

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

2000-02-11          12705

Harry,
Hopefully you'll hear something from the old timers who've probably got a ton of experience in all three types. To the best of my knowledge, the main difference between tractor & truck trannys would be the lack of gear syncronization in tractors. Hence, shifting on the fly isn't impossible but requires a bit of know how/experience. Essentually your the syncronizer.
To me, more gears are better. Wouldn't be the first time 2nd was too little and 3rd was too much in certain situations, naturally putting throttle placement aside. Shuttle shifters seem expensive and are generally found in larger units. I can't say that I understand its design principal, but it works like a gear tranny, minus the need to use the clutch for changing gears. Not sure I've helped any.... Good Luck ....

Gear transmissions

View my Photos
TomG

2000-02-12          12732

My Ford 1710 has a 3x4 GST which is claimed to be shuttle shift. I think all these variation you mention are fairly minor differences in mechanical shift linkages. Basically, if you shift, you shift, and it's pretty much the same no matter what it's called.

I think a shuttle shift is supposed to make it easy to be back and forth between one forward gear and reverse, which is a good thing for loader work. Don't know what the others are supposed to make easy.

My 3x4 has 3 close ratio syncro-meshed forward gears and a reverse on the steering column and 4 ranges on the transmission. The column gears can be used to adjust for minor load variations on the fly. You basically set how fast you want to go with the ranges (you have to be stopped)and then make minor adjustments with the column gears.

GST's are supposed to be less expensive, provide my power to the wheels and require less maintenance than HST's. Anside from the advantages or disadvantages, I bought my tractor used, and it had a GST, and the tractor was the right unit for me. If a similar unit with HST had been around, I may have paid the extra bucks. Used compacts are scarce as hen's teeth around here. Anyway, a tractor isn't like a car or truck. You don't shift all that much except for loader work. I get along with the GST OK. ....

Gear transmissions

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-02-13          12766

I've never heard the term 'collar shift' before but as for the rest, the main thing with a shuttle shift (which is NOT necessarily also a GST) is that you have an equal number of gears in forward as in reverse, i.e. 8F, 8R, and not just one, or one per range, i.e. 8F in 2 ranges of 4 each, but only 2 reverses, in loader or mowing, etc, this is very handy, you are going at the same speed either direction not just creeping along. As for GST (Glide Shift Trans.) this type of trans. uses a hyd. cyl. in the trans. to actuate the clutch for you, all you have to do is move the shifter. This is extremely useful in applications like mowing where you can shift up/down to regulate speed/power for hills, turns, flats, etc., or when doing loader work, since you can 'shift-on-the-fly' you do not have to stop, shift, then try to pull away with a heavy load in the bucket. Also, most GST's (such as Kubota's) let you shift from any gear to any gear directly, and under full power, in other words, if you are plowing snow in 2nd gear trying NOT to peel up any turf that you will have to fix in April, and you get to a clear area, you can shift straight from 2nd to 6th with no clutch or stopping or backing up to 'take a run at it'... This is a good thing, believe me!!! Best of luck. ....

Gear transmissions

View my Photos
TomG

2000-02-14          12780

Murf: Thanks for the information. I can now see that my Ford 1710 3x4 syncro transmission is a compromise between the old nosync few range transmissions and more modern transmisions. I always knew the transmission was described as a fake shuttle shift. Now I understand why. It has one reverse per three gears in each range. It's a mild limitation, since the 3 synchro gears in each range are fairly close ratios. However, as you note, sometimes it would be nice to be able to jump to a gear in another range on the fly. Again, a mild limitation that I can live with.

I do remember somebody commenting that the only place they thought manual is better than HST is for calibrated speed operations. Guess that means broadcasting and seed drilling. Don't suppose I'll be doing much planting here in logging country, but I'll live with the manual and will probably need the extra horse or so from time to time. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login