Go Bottom

Rotary cutter for JD4100

View my Photos
Harry Webster
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-02-14          12782

I am looking for a rotary cutter to fit my JD4100 to cut the underbrush in the woods surrounding our house as well as to cut the horse pasture. The underbrush is made up of 2-3' high bushes most 1/2" diameter or less. How heavy duty of unit do I need? Any brand recommendations would be appreciated.HarryW

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Rotary cutter for JD4100

View my Photos
dsg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-02-14          12796

Harry;
I think you will find the JD 413 Rotory mower the best choice for your 4100. I have a JD 755 (which is the predecessor of the 4100) and use the 413. anything bigger, IMHO would be to much for the 4100. Mine has the chain vail and slip cluch which is a very good set up.

David

Rotary cutter for JD4100

View my Photos
Harry Webster

2000-02-15          12819

David, is the 413 stout enough to clear "virgin" underbrush? I recently bought the five acre lot next to ours and want to clear the brush under the trees. Most of it is less that 1/2", some a little thicker. I like the 48" size for manuevering around the trees. Please tell me what you think of the overrun clutch versus the shear pin, and if you wouldn't mind, what is a stumpjumper?
This will be my first rotary cutter, if that wasn't already obvious!
Thanks, HarryW ....

Rotary cutter for JD4100

View my Photos
Jim

2000-02-15          12834

Hi harry,
why spend to much for a green piece of tin when you can buy a King Kutter thats I-beam constructed w/a stump jumper for a lot less and is alot more durable?? ....

Rotary cutter for JD4100

View my Photos
Harry Webster

2000-02-16          12851

That's what I'm looking for! Reccomendations from experienced users of rotary cutters. thanks. HarryW ....

Rotary cutter for JD4100

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-02-16          12872

Harry, for half inch diameter brush, probably any of the rotary cutters will handle that. I had a 48" Bush Hog brand that was considered a light duty model and it would cut 1" brush with no problem at all (I tend to be a little partial to Bush Hog products), and I occasionally even cut larger stuff. This past Fall, I traded up (or down as the case may be) to a 60" Howse light duty cutter. I wanted the wider size and don't plan on cutting much heavy brush, so the Howse is quite adequate and a lot cheaper. It was $495 when the Bush Hog was $695. I also looked at a 60 John Deere that was $1,495, but of course, it was rated to cut 2" trees. A slip clutch, in my area, usually costs about $100 more than a shear pin, and a lot of folks think the slip clutch is better and they may be right. But I've seen too many people have problems with their slip clutch and keeping it adjusted right, etc. I just stay with the old simple shear pin, and so far I've never sheared one. The stump jumper is an oval, or round, pan that the blades are attached to instead of being directly attached to the spindle like most lawn mowers. It's supposed to let the cutter ride over stumps instead of hanging up on them. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login