Go Bottom

BLADE FORKS

View my Photos
lbrown59
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-11-25          148722

We all know about bucket forks-but has anybody seen or built A set of forks to hang on a front blade?

I could use something like that.

== L B ==

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

BLADE FORKS

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-11-25          148724

Lbrown59,

Depending on how far out in front of your tractor your blade extends, it may not be possible to lift much more than 100 pounds with forks mounted on your blade. Even less if your blade is designed to tilt forward when hitting a solid object.

You can easily build forks to hang over your blade. You can even install some bolts in the hangers so that you can fasten it to the blade, in order to keep the forks from sliding left and right, or from bouncing off as you travel empty.

I might suggest that you use a couple of friction bolts, so as to make it easy to adjust the width of your forks. If you drill holes through your blade, you'll be forced to use your forks at a fixed width.

At any rate, you'll be extremely limited as to the amount of weight you'll be able to carry. If your blade is designed to tilt forward when hitting solid objects, such as curbs, it may not be possible to install forks on it.

Joel ....

BLADE FORKS

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-11-25          148726

Going along with Joel, to counter the blade rolling over you could add a brace or limiter to prevent rolling over.
Even if this were doable---and I highly think it's not advisable--- you would be taxing the framework/support structure of the blade and the blade itself.

But---and it' a big BUT...

Rather than forks on the front with a blade and all that entails trying reinforcing/limiting, etc. just build something that attaches to the 3pt. TSC used to sell a really inexpensive Cat. 1 for about $89. It had stationary arms (sort of like 2" angle-iron forks) that made up the unit, which was really for a carry platform when you added a piece of plywood. But with a little fabricating you should be able to whip one up easily with adjustable forks too.

I made a combination adjustable fork/crane unit for mine. The forks I had were made to be adjustable for a smallish loader bucket and could fold back over the loader bucket when not needed. The forks were about 3 feet long, 3" wide, 24" tall, and 1-1/4" thick. Apparently they were nothing more than mild steel because the first time I "field tested" them (backed under my dump truck bumper to see what would happen when I lifted it---and I found out) to my utter amazement I bent both forks (I got a little to quick & heavy on the 3pt lever as the front end raised up)! DOH!! So much for destructive testing.

BLADE FORKS

View my Photos
lbrown59

2007-11-27          148780

== L B == says I'm just looking for something very light duty that's quick/easy to install/remove.

I have a set of clamp on forks for the heavier stuff.
But I'm trying to avoid digging them out and installing them to carry say a few 2x4s and or other long light weight items.
I prefer to keep the 3 point clear for other implements is why I don't want to go the 3 point forks route. ....

BLADE FORKS

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-11-27          148782

LB I have the perfect solution! I have 4 such appendages that I use for those duties. Been using them going on 45 years now. Most likely you have a set of both too.

Legs and arms! WOW whadaconcept! :) ....

BLADE FORKS

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-11-27          148786

lbrown, what can you going to do with EW? :)kt ....

BLADE FORKS

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-11-28          148793

Oaky, okay on a serious note, I have toted 24' 6x6's using the box blade. All you do is lift the box blade, set and balance the items on it with them going along side the tractor or across the back and ratchet-strap them down to the box blade. ....

BLADE FORKS

View my Photos
lbrown59

2007-11-28          148795

LB I have the perfect solution! I have 4 such appendages that I use for those duties. Been using them going on 45 years now. Most likely you have a set of both too.
Legs and aOaky,

okay on a serious note, I have toted 24' 6x6's using the box blade. All you do is lift the box blade, set and balance the items on it with them going along side the tractor or across the back and ratchet-strap them down to the box blade. rms! WOW what a concept!
-----------

I feel the blade forks would be much more efficient than your concept.

Guess I could do the same with the tiller but i like the blade forks approach better.

BLADE FORKS

View my Photos
Lwayne

2007-11-28          148815

I'm presuming you have a some sort of semi-permanent attached blade. If I was you I'd just have a local machine shop bend a set of irons in any configuration that fits your needs and use thumb screws in threaded holes (or welded nuts) following Joel's suggestion. If you're talking light duty, as long as you don't overload it, something like that would be as simple as it gets. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login