Go Bottom

rust in fuel tank

View my Photos
countryboy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-11-11          157809

gotta JD 2010 with so much rust in the gas tank I had to clean the line to the sediment bowl 6 times in 2 hours. Any suggestions on how to clean it out? This tractor had been setting for three years when I started getting it running by the way.
thanks countryboy

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

rust in fuel tank

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-11-11          157810

Countryboy,

I suggest purchasing a new fuel tank, or a used one from a tractor graveyard.

It's a shame that this is allowed to happen to an otherwise perfectly good tractor.

Invest in a good tank for the old girl......new or used. It will be well worth your money and effort.

Joel ....

rust in fuel tank

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-11-11          157812

Have you tried to remove the rust already? Have never had the problem but wonder how it would be to fill the tank and let it sit for at least a day and then turn upside down to let that gas pour out quickly? Then adding a couple of gallons of clean gas and slosh that about and repeat until no rust comes out. THEN KEEP TANK FULL. Be sure not to use you are not using an ethanol mix gas. Depending on how bad it is, Joel has the answer. ....

rust in fuel tank

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-11-11          157817

I've had this happen on a couple of small engines and always replace the tank. See what you can find a new or good used tank for. The time and effort spent trying to get it cleaned out may not be worth it.

I'm sort of glad my tractor has a plastic tank :)

rust in fuel tank

View my Photos
Murf

2008-11-11          157821

While I've never had that issue myself, I know of several people who have.

One I know of took the tank to a place that repairs automotive gas tanks and they properly cleaned it then lined it with some sort of coating that was impervious to moisture. I recall he said it was a fraction of the cost of a new tank.

Best of luck. ....

rust in fuel tank

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-11-11          157822

No matter how well you clean it, eventually the rust will continue unless you follow Murph's suggestion. ....

rust in fuel tank

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-11-11          157823

The system Murf refers to is an epoxy coating. The system I'm aware of is basically applied by hand, that is, it's poured in and then the tank is rotated by hand to coat the inside. IMHO therein lies the problem. Auto fuel tanks have a drop-in pick-up module; smaller engines use a bottom pick-up (usually). IMHO the bottom pickup would become filled with epoxy.

Ive used spray-on and dippable rust reformers that chemically change the rust into a "crust" (a local auto paint supplier sells a product called RustMort for $11 quart).

I'm wondering if the pick-up was removed (if possible) and the solution poured into it if that would work. ....

rust in fuel tank

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-11-11          157824

(Murf: You and I are the same age. Back about 15-20 years ago in my area we used to see all manner of trucks and semis loaded to the hilt with used steel auto gas tanks leaving auto recyclers. I was told they were on their way to Canada since steel tanks didn't last long there. I found that interesting as we use a lot of salt here on roads and couldn't imagine harsher conditions than ours. Do you remember this?) ....

rust in fuel tank

View my Photos
Murf

2008-11-11          157825

Jeff, the tank I mentioned was epoxy coated, but I suppose the people doing the job knew what they were doing because the owner claimed it works just fine afterwards.

I do know that there is a big business in used auto parts (of all kinds) from down there, always has been, but all that I've seen are 'southern' parts.

I can't Michigan salt being any less problematic than Ontario salt is.

I know that one big local steel producer, Stelco, used to buy a lot of gas tanks for recycling (melting down) the steel because they produced a lot of the blanks for that type of product for the "Big 3" factories.

Best of luck. ....

rust in fuel tank

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-11-11          157826

A few years back my father in law ended up with his gas tractor in the pond. Pride only damage done to anyone and the engine due to how low the electrical system was stopped before it sucked water. But the fuel tank was underwater for a few hours. He ended up replacing that with a plastic tank sold as replacement for a 62 Ford tractor. It fit fine. So you may find a plastic one for your JD. But the reason he gave for the tank change made no sense, said he had to do it to get ride of the water. He had to meant the rust. I really would not spend much time or effort to try and clean it depending on what you can find in a new tank. Sometimes it is easy to spend more to patch than to replace. ....

rust in fuel tank

View my Photos
harvey

2008-11-12          157833

The 504 utility I got out of a hedgerow had same problem. We swished gas around in it pulled out the bottom line drained out. Sediment bowl had to be cleaned a few times and after that it is working fine now. Keep tank as full as you can (helps prevent condensation) install a inline filter and use it. ....

rust in fuel tank

View my Photos
countryboy

2008-11-13          157853

First thanks to all for responding as usual very good input. I'm trying to get this tractor running for a friend of ours who just lost her husband in March so I'm really working on a shoestring bubget. That being said this morning I came across this very problem addressed in Farm Show magazine. Mount a tube in the tank about an inch high to prevent drawing from the very bottom of the tank. I;ll let you know how that works out.

Thanks countryboy ....

rust in fuel tank

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-11-14          157874

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy | view 157853
First thanks to all for responding as usual very good input. I'm trying to get this tractor running for a friend of ours who just lost her husband in March so I'm really working on a shoestring bubget. That being said this morning I came across this very problem addressed in Farm Show magazine. Mount a tube in the tank about an inch high to prevent drawing from the very bottom of the tank. I;ll let you know how that works out.Thanks countryboy

Two comments, first pat on the back for being a good neighbor.

Second, what a simple idea if it works. No way am I saying it will not work. Just lossing some capacity which means you will run out of gas with a not empty tank. ....

rust in fuel tank

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-11-14          157879

Unless I misunderstand what was proposed I don't see how it can help much. When fuel sloshes all the rust and debris will be stirred up anyway. ....

rust in fuel tank

View my Photos
countryboy

2008-11-14          157882

Didn't think about the slosh factor, your probably right raising it one inch may not help. I just got back from working on the tractor and had it running for a half hour with no problem plugging and the amount of rust in sediment bowl was minimal so gonna see if I can keep it running now. ....

rust in fuel tank

View my Photos
Art White

2008-11-15          157894

Playing with old cars that had been sitting I used to pay about 75 to 100 to have them steam the tanks and take the scale off and coat the tanks. Prices keep going up and I don't do it to often but I have a complete kit at this time sitting on a shelf that seals and etches the tanks.
To take a bunch of ball bearings or nuts and put them in the tank and seal it up and shake it around will get the heavy stuff off. Then to steam it and then start the sealing process. I've used this stuff for over 30 years and it does work.

You can buy the kit through "Eastwoods" an auto restoration products company. At one time I could get it from JC Whitney. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login