Go Bottom

Tractor towing

View my Photos
James Fabre
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-05-14          16268

Does anyone have experience using a auto-type tow bar for towing theirtractor at slow, dirt road speeds? I need a solution for getting my tractor down 8 miles of dirt mountain roads and don't want to try my trailer on those narrow roads. My concern is that the front end ofthe tractor is not going to track like a towed auto would when I maketurns. Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Tractor towing

View my Photos
RCH

2000-05-14          16272

I'd think a tow 'dolly' that carries the front end would be the answer. ....

Tractor towing

View my Photos
David Paul

2000-05-14          16273

Do NOT tow a tractor for 8 miles. You don't say what make or model this is, but serious damage can result from towing a tractor these kinds of distances due to lack of lubrication, overspeed etc. If you are that concerned about towing a trailer, I can't see how towing a tractor would be much better. If a trailer is a problem, just drive the tractor the eight miles down the road, it will be much safer for you and the tractor ....

Tractor towing

View my Photos
James Fabre

2000-05-15          16286

It is a Ford 1000 and my owners manual said that it is ok to
tow it at speeds under 20mph. Have you heard bad things regarding
the towing of all tractors or just some? ....

Tractor towing

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-05-15          16289

The problem with towing ANYTHING is a lack of lubrication. In the case of a tractor most of the lubrication is provided by the transmission gears 'slinging' oil around to everything else. If the engine is not running, the transmission gears are not turning, so there is no lube being circulated. Overheating and bearing failure is almost a guaranteed thing under those circumstances. As already stated, driving the tractor is probably the best solution, almost any tractor will do 16 mph. without a problem, a drive of 1/2 an hour at that speed, probably less than the hook-up, un-hook time required to tow it. Certainly less than the rebuild time should a bearing fail... Best of luck. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login