Go Bottom

Curtis plow

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-12-23          22738

Good morning to all this woooonderfulllll Christmas weekend! I have been trying to piece together a loader blade and found an old manual turn Western plow but would need to have the attachment fabricated for my Boomer. Also, the owner can't make up his mind how much he wants for it. I checked with my dealer and he quoted me a price of 2k for a Curtis plow and said the machine would have to be hauled and some welding done to fit the plow to the loader. Another local implement dealer has a Curtis plow for $1575. (with hydro-turn) and states that if we order it for my 7308 loader, the unit is ready to pin into place on the loader arms. He has never sold one, and is going strictly by their catalogue. I have e-mailed Curtis and not received an answer. Can anyone fill in the blanks here? I would like to know before it is ordered, as welding will involve more expense and time. I plan on buying a 3pt blower next year from Meteor in Canada, but for now, the blade would work the best (too many large stones in the driveway and I pan on re-grading and laying down 1a's in the spring. Thanks.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Curtis plow

View my Photos
Jack in IL
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-12-23          22744

Cutter, Check out the Curtis Website www.curtiscab.com. You can see the loader blades there. It does not appear that any welding is required to attach to most loaders. The spec pages show you can get them for loaders with standard or quick-attach buckets. The differences in price quotes from your 2 dealers may be a result of differenct specs such as blade width and optional hydraulic blade angling. I have a similar 6 foot John Deere blade for Model 420 loader. It listed for $1200 with manual angling. Works great. ....

Curtis plow

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-12-23          22749

Thanks Jack, I have been to that site and they give the prices as well. I don't understand why one dealer tells me the mounting brackets have to be welded to the push bar and the other says they are ready to go when shipped to you. It doesn't say anything about that on the website. I'm wondering if my tractor dealer buys them in quantity and then has to modify to fit certain loaders. The plow size was the same at both places and both are hydro-turn. The other dealer is quoting me $1375 for the 6 1/2' manual angle. ....

Curtis plow

View my Photos
RickB.

2000-12-24          22774

My experience with Curtis snowplows is the mounting tabs are NOT welded to the frame, but shipped loose. This isn't to say they can't be ordered ready to pin on, just that I have never seen it. ....

Curtis plow

View my Photos
Larry in MI.

2000-12-25          22813

I just checked out the Curtis Cab web site. The following is a cut and paste from the web site: 1FELB2
JD 4000 & 5000 SERIES QUICK ATTACH
BRACKET (WELDING REQ.). It appears that welding is required. ....

Curtis plow

View my Photos
cutter

2000-12-25          22816

Thanks Larry! It appears that the Curtis loader blade requires fabricating/welding even when ordered for a specific loader, odd as it may seem. I don't understand that. If that is the case, one might be just as well off having the attachment bracketing made and finding a used blade and push bar for a couple hundred bucks. ....

Curtis plow

View my Photos
ridge runner

2000-12-25          22819

A picture really is worth a 1000 words ! I have a Curtis blade on a JD 430 loader. It would have fit from the factory but would have required removing the quik-tach for the bucket gizmos. Pin pulling etc. My dealer for a charge welded a quik-tach set up to the hydro turn blade. It comes off and on just like the bucket. Easy. It's a set up similar to how you would mount it on a skid steer. I have a crushed rock road and with proper shoe adjustment and a sharp eye it works great. Curtis can put a blade on anything and a good dealer should be able to work with them and you. Good Luck. ....

Curtis plow

View my Photos
cutter

2000-12-25          22820

Are you saying Runner, that the normal pin type bracketing is already welded to the push bar? My dealer sells N/H tractors exclusively and stated on two different ocasions that the machine had to be transported to his shop and the brackets welded to the push bar. The implement dealer on the other hand, doesn't find anything in his sales literature to confirm this and thinks it will bolt up. I will find out before buying one, something smells fishey here. ....

Curtis plow

View my Photos
Art White

2000-12-26          22824

Yes there is welding required with the Curtis set-up. The plates that you put the pins into to attach the blade to the loader frame have to be matched to the loader. The blade's they build are of good strength and I like the idea of the final fit being done to the loader at the time of installation. All to often someone is off a bit at the factory and you have to change something anyway. ....

Curtis plow

View my Photos
cutter

2000-12-26          22825

Thank you Art, that is the final word on this question. Hope you had a great Christmas. ....

Curtis plow

View my Photos
Art White

2000-12-26          22826

Cutter I hope your holidays are full of cheer. Did your dealer dicuss possible hook-up styles with you? If the tractor has a extra valve we often run the angle to that valve instead of breaking the tilt line. Call me if you have further questions at 1-800-859-4483. ....

Curtis plow

View my Photos
cutter

2000-12-26          22833

Art, no he did not discuss that. We spoke of unhooking the curling rams and installing quick coulpings. I currently have no other way available to make the connection. I may install another valve at some point, but need to delve into the economics further. After all, the Christmas bills haven't even arrived yet. I am trying to save $$ on this plow hookup by fabricating it, but if I can get what I want for between $1375 and $1575 I will go with new. I will call the implement dealer back re: the welding as well as give my N/H dealer a shot a matching the price. ....

Curtis plow

View my Photos
ridge runner

2000-12-26          22836

Cutter; Art is correct. The pin brackets did come unattached from Curtis, so there would be some welding required. I just preferred the other set up. Happy plowing. ....

Curtis plow

View my Photos
cutter

2000-12-26          22850

Thanks to all for the input. I just ordered a Cutis with hydro-turn. A different N/H-Kubota dealer nearby is installing a remote hookup on the rear with the N/H controls for the hydo. and running lines to the front, a cushioning valve and the plow for 2k.. "My" dealer was giving me none of this and hooking the plow to the bucket curl lines for the same price. This board is great. ....

Curtis plow

View my Photos
Larry Nixon

2000-12-26          22853

In the last 3 weeks I have welded up 2 blades for FEL. I copied the John Deere Quick Disconnect bucket feature, You pull 2 pins and set on the tractor and curl away from the bucket or blade. I mounted one blade on a John Deere 4400 and I am using the bucket curl for the power angle, This is my son-inlaws tractor and he wants to add a hyd remote so we can leave the bucket curl in operation. The 2nd FEL was on a Kubota B7100, I had to convert the bucket over to the John Deere Quick Disconnect bucket feature and then I welded up a frame to match the loader. We have about $450 in each one of these blades. One of the blades was a meyers truck blade and the other was a New Holland blade bought oof of this site. I have also welded up quick disconnect forks for FEL that are very handy to move brush or logs. Email if you have any questions larmar ....

Curtis plow

View my Photos
Mike

2000-12-28          22892

Larry,Have you got anymore daughters? I would like to be one of your son-in-laws also. ....

Curtis plow

View my Photos
Larry Nixon

2000-12-28          22894

No, they are both happly married, The other plow on the Kubota was for my brother. I have been a jack of all trades and welding happens to be one of them. I also weld up real nice clamp on forks for loaders! Larry ....

Curtis plow

View my Photos
cutter

2000-12-28          22896

I hope to be sounding like you next year Larry. My barn built, the shop finished and both the Marine and the Sailor married. ....

Curtis plow

View my Photos
Larry Nixon

2000-12-28          22897

I retired a year ago Cutter and I dont know how I ever found time to go to work! I am busier now than ever. I have a 32x 64 heated shop and I spend a lot of time working out their in the cold weather. I am about ready to head south for a while and get away from this cold and snow. Larry ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login