Go Bottom

New Tractor - Need advise

View my Photos
Peter H
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-09-05          31611

First, I am gratful to this web site and it's members for the valuable information gleaned over the past months leading up to my order, made today! Went with the closest dealer. (Moore's Corners Granville NY)Because of your help,I am confident I made at least a fair deal.* NH TC40D w/4wdrive, Loaded R4's, engine heater,rear work light, 16A FEL w/quick attach, HD bucket,loader tooth bar, grill gaurd, set up & delivery. $20,612.* Curtis 7' quick attach snow blade, all hydro angle. $2325* Walco 7' back blade. $450* Woods 5' rotary cutter $1050My question is this: I have some fairly steep hills to mow, but not too many obsticles. I plan on moving the tires to their out-most position for stability. This would make the tires wider than the rotary cutter. Would it be worth the extra $300+- to go to a 6' cutter? Thank you in advance for any help offered.I will take delivery in about 3 weeks. :-)Peter in Vermont

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-09-05          31613

Peter, maybe it depends on how close you want to mow to long horizontal obstacles such as fences and buildings. I much prefer a mower that's slightly wider than my rear tires, but it sure isn't necessary, especially if you don't need to get close to fences and such. ....

View my Photos
BeeFarmer

2001-09-06          31617

Very interesting that you are not using a 6 footer to begin with. We put a 6 footer with a 33 with little difficulty. I would't hesitate to go to a 6 footer. Unless you are mowing between rows that you need the small width. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-09-07          31662

I would select the Bush-hog Squealer and get the 7' twin spindle. Yes it is more money, but it doesn't stick back any further than a 42" brush-hog would,that would give you more stability, you do have enough power to run it, and it does come with an offset so it's easy to trim around fences and close to other objects. Another reason to like it is, it has dual tail wheels so the deck doesn't drop into woodchuck holes or other types of dead furrows etc. ....

View my Photos
Peter H

2001-09-11          31750

Thanks for the advise gentlemen. I will go with a 6 footer for sure, and will at leastlook into the squeeler. I now know (thanks Mark)that my tires will adjust out to at least 84 inches. Because I am a first time tractor operator I think I will opt for saftey & stability on my hills over completly covering my tracks w/ the cutter. Probably split the difference and move them to about 76+-. One more week until delivery. Like a kid on Christmas morn waiting for the parents to wake up.
Best regards,
Peter ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login