Go Bottom

Building a log splitter

View my Photos
denwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-09-20          96930

I am looking for unique ideas for building a log splitter. Any problems run into. I do not have the luxury of tiny trees where a 4 or 6 way wedge will work. Logs are tipically 18-30" in diameter. Knots, bends, nothing is wasted. I use approx 35,000 pounds of wood per year. I have no interest in the monkey see, monkey do log splitters that people build for a reason I don't understand. Why would I want to lift a 120+ pound log onto the I-beam to have it pushed off the end in two 60+ pound pieces that I have to pick up again. I want the wedge on the ram with a log lift. One half will fall back on the lift while I work on the other. As each small piece is split off it won't move down the beam, I'll grab it and throw it in pile, wagon, truck etc. My feet will be nearly stationary and my back won't bend continuously to the ground. I have the beam, a 5"x24" cylinder, 22gpm two stage pump, valve, filter. I have considered hydraulically self propelling it on a front axle of a suzuki sameri where I could unlock the hubs to tow on the road. Any ideas, or failed ideas would be appreciated. Please post twice if you have a lot to say I can't see long posts

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Building a log splitter

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-09-22          97046

Build it into the middle of a workbench on wheels, mount a lift at the end like a tailgate lift on a truck. The whole blocks come up one end on the lift, get split in the middle and the finished stuff is at the other end for loading, NO BENDING AT ALL is required, just sliding along the bench.

Best of luck. ....

Building a log splitter

View my Photos
machere
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-02-28          151752

I am not sure about all of what you want to do, but if you are using a large I-Beam; I would suggest that you box in the I-Beam as the type of wood you are talking of spliting will cause the I-Beam to flex and bend. I know, as I have built several from large I-Beams and when spliting large knot loaded wood, it will flex and bend. Boxing in the I-Beam on both sides with 1/4" flat stock will fix that problem. I also make my log splitters to tilt so I can roll the large logs onto the end plate and then split the large logs and the other pieces are nearby and easy to get into place without breaking my back. ....

Building a log splitter

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-02-28          151753

Considering this thread is now 4.5 years old I doubt it matters any more........

Best of luck. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login