Go Bottom

Customized Tractors Business

View my Photos
RobertGreen
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2014-02-22          189110

Hello everyone,

I want to ask you all if it is a good idea to start a business of making old tractors into new by customizing them and selling them to the farmers in lesser cost. Will that business be profitable?

Link:   Eton

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2014-02-22          189112

Hello Robert;

I'm not sure as to what degree you would customize an old tractor into something of lesser cost and hopefully superior quality to tractors already available.
I never gave much thought to bringing an old tractor back to one superior to todays tractors but I was involved in restoring several old tractors to their original condition.
Restoring an old tractor to original is a fun hobby but never a profitable one in my experience, so I question bringing an old tractor to beyond what is commercially available could ever be profitable.
I'm afraid it would be almost impossible to match even a twenty year old used tractor with the nice air conditioned cabs, great hydraulics, all wheel drive, etc. that we have been accustomed to.
I don't like to rain on anyone's parade but I'm afraid you could spend money trill the cows come home and never realize your goal.

Frank. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-02-22          189114

Hi Robert

Welcome to Tractorpoint!

Interesting question. You posted this in the Simplicity Garden Tractor forum, and then talk about Farmers?

Happy to change the category to Antique Tractors for you if that is more appropriate.

Hardwood has some very valid points to consider. Yet remanufacturing almost everything does go on, its a matter of having access to the tools, know how, favorable parts prices I guess.

If you are just one man shop you would have to really specialize on tractors that mandate the highest prices after restoration.

You say lesser cost than what ? Lesser cost than buying old and restoring themselves? Versus buying new? ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login