Go Bottom

Plastic Gas Can Life

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-05-20          111303

I have a question on gas cans. I was looking at some of my old plastic cans, and some of them are probably over 30 years old. Are these time bombs waiting to happen? How often should you replace them?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Plastic Gas Can Life

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-05-20          111306

Dennis, in my view; the biggest deteriorator of the plastic fuel and gas cans is sun light and store the cans with the tops turned down tight so extreme amounts of pressure can build up. I have been using mine for MANY years. Some over 12 years. The few that I used an extended amount out in the sun show signs of fading and deteriorating. As long as the plastic looks to be in good shape (not brittle or faded) I keep using them. I store them where in the event they did leak that the fuel would not go into the house. I think if you store them out of the sunlight as much as possible and leave the vent cap on but somewhat loose so pressure can vent; the cans will last a LONG time and be safe to use. I have also heard that it is a good practice to replace these plastic fuel can every 5 years.........but for what they cost........I just ain't gonna do it. Same thing goes for air compressor and compressed air storeage tanks. I beleive they are labeled to be replace every 7 years but I regularly vent the moisture from mine and try to take good care of it. I am NOT gonna buy a new aircompressor every 7 years, that's for sure! ;o) ....

Plastic Gas Can Life

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-05-20          111307

I've really never heard of one going bad. My Father inlaw had a couple for his outboard motor that were so old the had faded to almost white. Mine usually get lost or loaned out to never return long before they get very old. Frank. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login