Go Bottom

Poison Ivy Remedies

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-04-26          128365

Well the Ivy is growing fast and wild this time of year here. I mowed into some with the trim mower and ended with the clippings all over me.
Does anyone know of folk remedies that involve hot water and soap? I worked with ADC the material you make most ophthalmic lenses from and the way to limit the reaction was to wash with water as hot as possible the area coated and then wash with soap. ADC chemical structure is similar to the oil in poison Ivy. This is what I did yesterday and have no patches today. I have tried it before with mixed success, but may not have got it in time or not used hot enough water. It needs to be scalding hot.
The grease removing orange soaps work well. Some of the specific soaps for poison Ivy are the same bases.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Poison Ivy Remedies

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-04-26          128367

Folk remedy no, but two I've used succesfully were "Mane & Tail" horse shampoo, every good at stripping the oils, and the special doggy shampoo for getting rid of skunk spray.

Although I'm told by my resident homeopath (my missus) that Jewel Weed, which should be a native plant in your neck of the woods is an excellent cure.

Best of luck. ....

Picture Link

Poison Ivy Remedies

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2006-04-26          128374

Some time ago my dad used to work for the highway department and spent his summers mowing along the county roads in NW Wisconsin. He said there were times when the sickle bar was just dripping with poison ivy juice and he had to handle it for repair. His remedy was to instantly wash his hands and arms in gasoline after handling it.

It sounds a little strange now in our environmentally safe way of thinking but it supposedly works. I think it qualifies as a "folk remedy." :)
Dave ....

Poison Ivy Remedies

View my Photos
oneace

2006-04-26          128376

I would not know I can use it as toilet paper and it would not cause any itch. Just thought I would have to rub that in a little. ....

Poison Ivy Remedies

View my Photos
harvey

2006-04-26          128377

OA that's too funny. We had a VERY GOOD LOOKING YOUNG FLAGGER jump over the bank and squirt the dirt. She grabbed a hand full of bushy vines to wipe the dribble off... She was out of work for 3 weeks. You oughta heard her husbands side of the story...blisters the size of 50 cent pieces... Not to mention he was outta luck for much longer...

Oak and Ivy do not bother me either. BUT I'm not gonna ever test it there either. ....

Poison Ivy Remedies

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-04-26          128382

If I think I have been exposed to PI I take double or triple amounts of antihistamine. This works too if I get stung by a bee or wasp---If I figure I'll get stung brush cutting, I'll take the antihistamines beforehand. ....

Poison Ivy Remedies

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-04-26          128384

The oil in Poision Ivey is urushiol you may not have a reaction at all. The next time you come in contact with it it will eat you up. When you cut the stalk or vine it will produce an oil that will turn the stump end of the vine black and will last a long time.
I cut and carried oak logs out of the woods under my arms. I cut the vine with the chain saw, I never saw a poison ivey vine 1 1/2 inch thick no leaves did not even know what it was. The oil got on the coveralls soaked through and covered me from my arm pit to my waste two days later I had a rash in the same place. I slept on a towel to soak up the weeping. In the morning the towel was soaked and part of the bed. Trying to save the coveralls I soaked them in gas, washed them alone with soap in the washing machine. The next time I wore the coveralls I was in the same fix. Arm pit to waste. So dont bet on the gas.
My father used Baking Soda, he rubbed it into the affected area, broke the top of the bumps, and caked on the baking soda. This is painfull, but it stops the weeping and lets a scab form. Tecnu Skin Cleanser this is a two part treatment that worked very well. Let hot water run on the affected area (this feels greaaaaaaaaaaat!!!!!). The hot water uses up all of the Histamines which causes the itch. Then apply the medication. It will not stop the weeping but will stop the itch so you can sleep.
I had a large spot on my chest when I was a child, we had a vacation at the beach. I would not come out of the water because I did not want anyone to see. The next day it was almost gone. The waves and the salt water did the trick. This was by far the best cure.

From My archives ....

Poison Ivy Remedies

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2006-04-26          128390

I used to get poison ivy all the time as a kid. Then after working on apple farms where I was in the poison ivy all the time I became resistant to it. I rarely have any effects from poison ivy any more. ....

Poison Ivy Remedies

View my Photos
JimP
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-04-26          128393

I get Poison Anything bad if I come in contact with it, and I can feel it coming before it breaks out. If it is anywhere near my face, I proceed immediately to the Doctor's, do not pass GO, do not collect $200, and get a prescription for Prednisone (oral tablet). This is a super steroid used to deal with everything from Poison Ivy to sarcoidosis. It basically works like super-strength Benadryl (like someone else mentioned) and dries out the Poison Ivy from the inside out, rather than trying to dry it out with something topical (calamine lotion is useless and RhuliGel helps a little). Relief is almost immediate and and I am dried out (before any oozing) and starting to heal in 3-4 days, as opposed to 2 weeks or more of oozing before anything starts drying out by itself. It is a prescription but Prednisone has been around forever, and my script is usually less than $2. I have dealt with bad cases of Poison Ivy my whole life, and this is by far the best remedy I have found. Prednisone is not for everyone, especially people with liver problems, diabetics, or people who have problems with bleeding. Your doctor can let you know whether or not it is for you. ....

Poison Ivy Remedies

View my Photos
Peters

2006-04-26          128398

Poison Ivy as Phil said is a sensitizer and the allergic reaction can get worst or better. Normally worst.
In general the darker your complexion the less likely you are to react.
I have not heard of the Jewel Weed, but we have used catnip to dry up the reaction on my son. It definately will stop the reaction on the surface.
I think the hot water and orange cleaner works if you can do it quickly. ....

Poison Ivy Remedies

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-04-26          128400

As to the gasoline remedy.... don't try this at home folks.

It ain't the same stuff it was 40 years ago when you could get away with using it as a solvent and having your hands immersed in it.

Come to think of it, it wasn't such a good idea then either. ....

Poison Ivy Remedies

View my Photos
Art White

2006-04-27          128404

My brother took down a big elm that was loaded with it and made the mistake of being in shorts and no shirt! It was within a couple of days he was covered with those seapy sores and I believe it was baths in ammonia that healed him up quickly. ....

Poison Ivy Remedies

View my Photos
Murf

2006-04-27          128413

I agree with Mark, gasoline (or most solvents) are really not very good for direct skin contact.

I spoke with a friend who does a lot of land clearing. He swears by his method, hand cleaner, the kind WITHOUT any grit, it is formulated to do exactly what you need with PI, strip any and all oils from the surface of your skin.

He keeps a container of it and a roll of paper towels in each of his vehicles. He says it is the fastest, most effective way that he can use in the field. Besides, if you get caught without any, the nearest auto parts or Wally world type place has shelves of it.

Best of luck. ....

Poison Ivy Remedies

View my Photos
yooperpete

2006-04-27          128419

I've been told that frequent getting yours hands soaked in gasoline "like for cleaning your hands" typically causes cancer. The most predominant one is prostrate cancer. Doing this once in a while may be ok! Back in the old days with leaded gas, your body absorbed the lead. ....

Poison Ivy Remedies

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2006-04-27          128420

My story about washing with gasoline was just that, a story, and not intended to be advice. Maybe I should have been clearer on that.

A half century ago many things were common that would be considered harmful now. The government stationed troops downwind and close to A-bomb tests. Shoe stores had x-ray machines to exactly measure size. More people smoked than didn't. I could go on, but you should get the point.
Dave ....

Poison Ivy Remedies

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-04-27          128423

"A half century ago many things were common that would be considered harmful now."

Like siphoning gas with a garden hose and getting a mouthful? Then hooking the hose back up to the water tap and drinking out of it?

Sometimes I wonder how we survived. ....

Poison Ivy Remedies

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-04-27          128424

drankin,

I am with you. It may prove the leaded gas was not as dangerous as those who pass the laws and those who enforce it and so forth.

A mouth full of gas did not taste as bad as some of their better ideas do.
kt ....

Poison Ivy Remedies

View my Photos
Murf

2006-04-27          128426

The lead in 'Leaded' gasoline wasn't as bad on people as it was for the environment.

There is a funny twist on the ban of lead in gasoline though.

As many of you know, I'm a pilot, and planes burn something generically called "Av Gas", and lots of it, even a small plane burns 7 to 9 (US) gallons per hour (GPH). Coincidentally, GPH in a plane correlates almost exactly to MPG in a vehicle on the highway. So by that figuring, that is the equivalent of a car getting 7 to 9 MPG. Certainly not what you would call 'fuel efficient' now is it.

The most common fuel nowadays being "100LL" meaning it is 100 octane low lead fuel.

Now the twist, the ban (or limitation) on lead in fuel doesn't apply to Av Gas, in fact, even 100LL has 20 times the lead that the old 'leaded' gasoline had, and 2,000 times the amount of lead as todays unleaded fuel has.

To put this in a little better perspective, if I take a flight of 5 hours duration, being 2.5 hours each way, I will burn (in my own little scooter) about 40 US gallons of fuel.

So, that much fuel will be about the direct equivalent (in lead released into the atmosphere) of 80,000 US gallons of gas in a vehicle. If we use a car that gets say 25 MPG as an example for easy math, that 80,000 gallons would take it 2,000,000 miles.

Think of that the next time you see a small plane flying overhead.

Best of luck. ....

Poison Ivy Remedies

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-04-27          128429

I feel for the people that get poison ivy bad. I get it, but it's tolerable. My wife... another story. She's like JimP and needs the steroid. At our previous house, she got it bad and we couldn't figure it out. She got it from the oils rubbing off the dogs onto her. Secondary contact. It was in a flower bed the dogs lied to tromp through. Few flowers, mostly weeds.

Benadryl, cleanser & water work if you don't get it bad. I like the idea of the cleanser and paper towels near where you are working if you can do that. ....

Poison Ivy Remedies

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-04-27          128437

Talk about Gas bad for things, it is killing my pocketbook grave yard dead. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login