Go Bottom

Lawn Mower Safety

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-05-03          141731

Reading about lawn mowers on the road on another thread reminded me of local news story from last weekend...driver of car fell alseep running off road, killing person on lawn mower. They did not tell how close to the road the lawn mower was. I think he really was cutting grass. kt

How about other safety issues??

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Lawn Mower Safety

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-05-03          141733

The big one I see all the time is people disconnecting the safety shut-off system.

Then they get off the mower to pick up some debris or move something out of the way and stuff their foot under the deck getting back on.

A surprising number of people also suffer eye injuries on riding mowers, it's too tempting to scoot under a tree branch, a small twig will do a lot of damage in your eye. Safety glasses will help you to avoid this a lot.

Also be very careful if you wear a cap while mowing with a rider. It sounds strange, but up close the brim of the cap keeps branches out of sight until they make contact with you.

Best of luck.

Lawn Mower Safety

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-05-03          141735

We don't mow a regular lawn, but when bush hogging I always wear a logging helmet with muffs and facegaurd. It probably looks like overkill to the casual observer but the mesh faceguard doesn't fog up like safety glasses, the muffs protect hearing from the LOUD equipment, and the helmet gives all around protection from flying debris. Probably wouldn't help if a truck came flying off the road though :) ....

Lawn Mower Safety

View my Photos
randywatson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-05-03          141736

Second that,

safety goggles, gloves, steel toed boots, hearing protection,

After many years of self abuse to my body and suffering of injury to hearing, hands,eyes, legs, I now use a lot more safety precautions, thankfully none of the injuries were life threatening, or disabling, however the older and wiser I get, the more I value the fact that I don't bounce back like I used to...so more safety precautions = less injuries....be careful out there ....

Lawn Mower Safety

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-05-03          141738

Watch those side hills, I see so many, and I'll admit to being a bit guilty myself of sitting on the uphill fender to mow a ditch bank. A few years ago a friend of mine was mowing a steep ditch bank by driving up it than going around and repeating the same thing by going only uophill. For some reason he hit the clutch, it stsrted rolling backward, he paniced hit the brake and it went over backwards. he was lucky, a few bruses and scrapes. Yes be very carefull. Frank. ....

Lawn Mower Safety

View my Photos
randywatson

2007-05-03          141747

amen to that, I know my heart has skipped several times when I lifted the up hill wheel off the ground on my 'bota, finally figured out Duh...go up and down not side to side,

guess idiots like me is why it has a ROP and seatbelt, ....

Lawn Mower Safety

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-05-03          141756

Murf, I had not realize how those limbs caught me off guard. But they were. Will leave the ball cap off. It is amazing how simple these are, yet so good. ....

Lawn Mower Safety

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2007-05-03          141757

A friend of mine was on his MMM and reached over to pick up a piece of wire. About the time he got the wire in his hand the other end was caught by the blades. As it ripped the wire out of his hand he was lucky he did not lose any fingers just a lot of stiches (28 to be exact).

I learned a good lesson from this dont grab wire. I grabbed a hickory branch and it did the same thing. The lawnmower ripped the branch through my hand at the speed of light. Lost some skin, and I am now much smarter.

Murf,
You are so right about the Ball cap I ducked but not low enough. I now have "personnel observation" with the term "Knothead". ....

Lawn Mower Safety

View my Photos
Iowafun

2007-05-05          141807

Rocks were a problem for me 12/13 years ago. Some idiot was mowing his lawn up on the shoulder of the road with the deck exit pointed at the road. He shot rocks into the side of my 1 month old pickup. A couple of inches higher and it would have been in my face. I watch for cars now and stop mowing so I can let them go by without risk of shooting debris into them. ....

Lawn Mower Safety

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-07-04          143438

Dear friends,

When mowing around low hanging trees, please beware of the fact that the ROPS is much higher than your head, and it's behind you, where it is out of sight and out of mind.

A good friend of mine was mowing his yard, when he decided that he could go under the wire supporting the power pole next to his garage. The ROPS caught on the supporting wire and lifted his front tires completely off the ground, nearly flipping his tractor over backward. Thankfully, he was traveling at a very low speed, allowing him to quickly stop before it went over on him.

It is rather ironic that the device that is supposed to prevent the tractor from rolling, can actually cause it to roll.

Be careful, friends. It doesn't take much pressure on the top of the ROPS to flip a tractor over on its back........and NEVER, EVER attempt to pull or drag anything by using the ROPS as a hitch point.

Joel ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login