Go Bottom

Replacement seat belts

View my Photos
gearnoise
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-08-30          173569

I have two tractors, a Kubota and a Massey Ferguson, both less than 10 years old, with ROPS and broken seat belts. In both cases the receiver buckle just doesn't hold the belt tongue, and yes I've tried WD40. I'm guessing this is a fairly common problem, yet I haven't found a source for just replacing the receiver, and replacing the the entire original equipment belt isn't cheap. So, any recommendations as to where to shop for replacements?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Replacement seat belts

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-08-31          173574

Gear;
First welcome to the form, there's always room for more around here.
I used to have a bit of MF farm equipment and I remember their parts prices seeming to be higher than Deere if that's possible.
You are dealing with something about like having a leaky fire extingusher on a gas truck by looking for used buckles in my opinion. I don't know what the whole kit cost compares to maybe some junkyard buckles, but I think I'd err on the pricey side for this one. Enjoy your day.
Frank. ....

Replacement seat belts

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-08-31          173577

Going back to my automotive engineering days, there are only 3 makers of safety belts. I would go to a foreign car junkyard and see if anything matches.

For example the 3-point seat belt system on my New Holland skid steer is the same one used on delivery trucks. The way I know this is the packaging from the dealer included instructions on how to install it showing a UPS-type truck. And this is why this stuff doesn't hold up out doors--it's designed to be used in a vehicle where it doesn't get wet and full of dust.

Pssst Frank ---over here---it's called a "forum" not a "form", unless you gots marbles in yer mouth or been taught by Kenny's Grammar, Inc. ....

Replacement seat belts

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-08-31          173579

One other thing, if you have to cut or otherwise damage the webbing/strapping/belting material, find a company that makes industrial fabric straps or riggings. There's a local company to me that does this work cheap---like a couple bucks to sew back together. ....

Replacement seat belts

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-08-31          173580

For-Um, Ok I thought that was some kind chairaty work you did For Um.
Now to move your Edge-Um-Catin,(that's probably Michigan slang) a bit farther along, did you know that the word paradox means two doctors?
An fellow on another board sent me a dictionary of computer slang abreviations, so please don't start using them, there must be thousands of them. I'd be even more confused than I am now.
Happy dirt digging.
Frank. ....

Replacement seat belts

View my Photos
greg_g

2010-08-31          173581

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearnoise | view 173569
So, any recommendations as to where to shop for replacements?
I have two complete sets. One's six years old, the other's four. But they've never been installed, just collecting dust on the spare parts shelf ever since new. I'm pretty sure they're universal, but perhaps you'd give me your email address via the site private message system. That way I can send you a photo or two

//greg// ....

Replacement seat belts

View my Photos
gearnoise

2010-08-31          173584

Greg, I'm too new to this site to know if I want to take the plunge at being a paid premium member, so am currently blocked from using the site's private message system. However, these responses prompted me to compare the seatbelts on the tractors; They both have a model TK 521 designation, so they are universal, and a Bing search on TK521 seatbelt also turns them up in articles on various cars, and the subject of most articles had to do with their failure to latch or stay latched, with some gruesome results. However another seatbelt search leads me to forklift seatbelts available from Northern Tool for anywhere from $20, $30, and $46. This is much much better than $100 from Kubota for OEM equipment with a reputation for failing. I just need to get over to my local NT store to see if they would work on my tractors. ....

Replacement seat belts

View my Photos
gearnoise

2011-06-30          179222

Just an update. I did buy a couple cheap pairs of retractable seatbelts from Northern Tool last fall, and with just a couple minor alterations to the areas where they bolt to the tractors during the installs, they work great. ....

Replacement seat belts

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-06-30          179235

A couple of years back replaced the seat on my larger Kubota and was very pleased with the new one. Hauled off the old one to the recycling center and little later realize..where is the seat belt? It was mounted to the seat as the seat was on a suspension system. Have not come up with a good set up to use on new seat. Used the seat belt on that tractor very seldom as it stays on flat ground most of the time but still miss the belt. ....

Replacement seat belts

View my Photos
arcwelder

2015-10-31          193976

I went to the junkyard and pull a complete set from the back seat of a van. IT is the 2 point and is usually has the adjustable buckle. The ends usually have a bolt hole in flat metal, may have a bend to it.
Yes I know this thread is years old, but is listed under most viewed. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login