Go Bottom

Would like to suggest a Safety Forum Topic Section

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-04-29          53980

Maybe I missed this section or it was in a bad spot (right in front of my face) What do you guys think about adding a Safety forum topic section where we can share and exchange experiences and hopefully prevent another from having an accident or damage?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-04-30          54035

I like the idea myself and I guess I am inclined toward the role of safety police from time to time. Safety policing is a thankless role that suffers mostly because the practitioners tend to get a bit preachy. A forum for describing hazardous situations might be pretty good though. The main thing about safety is the on-going attitude 'How dumb that would never happen to me.' Preachy doesn't help here but maybe a few stories would.

Dumb things do happen and not just to inexperienced operators. Most of my uncles retired from farming following recovery from serious accidents. My perspectives in this are a bit different because I worked in a Veterans Hospital, and the Vets does receive a lot of accident trauma. I'd see people in traction for months from these dumb things.

View my Photos
Bernie Galgoci

2003-04-30          54046

Doesn't sound like a bad idea to me. After LarryJ rolled his tractor, I went out to see how easy it would be to knock the range shift lever on my JD into neutral and start freewheeling. Needless to say, I learned about a safety issue that never even occurred to me. (Thanks Art and Murf for the easy solution!) I like to think I USUALLY try to cover all the bases safety-wise, and if I don't, well at least I know the risk I'm taking. But it's the things you don't know about that are accidents waiting to happen, and I'm always willing to listen to other people's insights and solutions on safety issues. ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-04-30          54063

At first I was a little cool to the idea, probably because I have become rather comfortable with the functionality of this site, the search feature especially is very useful, cheers Dennis.

Now however, after some more pondering I think maybe it is a very good idea. In fact the deciding factor was a comment Bernie made, it made me realize something we 'long time in the seat' folks take for granted may not occur to even experienced occaisional users, it would be better we make it known sooner rather than later, especially if 'later' was too late.

If we could prevent one accident, even if only a minor 'oopsey', it would be worth the time and effort, after all, safety is NOT something you want to learn from experience.

I personally don't mind spending a little time on educating folks, in fact I get more than a few direct emails from members looking for advice or an opinion on something or another. I always promptly and cheerfully reply. I don't want to speak out of turn but from what I have seen most of us 'elders' seem to feel the same way, Tom, my northern neighbour for example, didn't get to 3000+ posts by being shy or secretive.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-04-30          54077

I like the idea of a forum where ideas are shared, not preached. We have a safety program practiced in my company that is driven by the employees, they lead the meetings and come up with safe work habits. One of the mainstays of the program is what is called a "near miss" forum that takes place at each weekly gathering. Those that care to, can explain to the others in their group an event that occurred that could have been a serious accident but was prevented by a particular action.

This particular type of format could lead to some great brainstorming as well as possibly prevent a member from becoming injured. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-04-30          54078

I was looking at it from a view point of sharing experiences with one another so as to prevent someone else from making the same mistake; hopefully in the spirit of saving a life or preventing an injury or damage (self critique if any) From day one of my days in the Army, after we got back to the briefing room from flying a mission; we would have an after action review to go over what went well and what did not go so well to improve on the next mission and most importantly to bring up and review safety issues that occurred during the mission so we did not make the same mistake again. Some mistakes you get to make ONLY ONCE......I would especially like to share info. with one another so none of us make that mistake. Lots of warmth and fuzziness here! ;-) The last think I am thinking about is preachiness. If I can learn from someone elses mistake; that is time well spent! I would be very grateful that they took the time to share that experience with me. All the best! Be safe! ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-05-01          54090

Sounds like everybody has the same idea and that was mine too-stories rather than sermons.

I still remember getting my tractor and immediately ordering a load of gravel for the drive. There I was happy as a lark bouncing down the drive with full buckets and not having a clue about ballast. I probably got my first clue from reading this site. Some time late I did a web search on 'tractor safety.' there was an institute and several safety oriented ad and construction sites. Got a few more clues but safety stuff doesn't make for very good light reading. Stories are better.

I remember the military. Briefings, debriefings and maneuvers although the AF terminology was a bit different. I think the briefings and debriefings get the ideas in the mind and the maneuvers get the body parts to cooperate. In any crisis oriented work you often can't think about what should be done. The responses just have to be there and it takes training and drilling to get them reliable. In working a tractor, I think I'm programming my body to make reliable responses. Stories will tell me what I have to get in my mind first.

Yikes! Three thousand posts? Guess that's what happens when you get up with the chickens and don't have any.

View my Photos
harvey

2003-05-02          54145

Safety is always a good thing. I remember hanging off the side of a silo with just a few strands of baler twine for a rope. Would I do it today? I remember a lot of don't touch that, don't do that...

Seeing 1 armed farmers, 1 eyed mechanics, bent up equipment, recently a man killed from a windshield washer fluid barrel touched by a tourch and many other graffic stories showing results of accidents.

Maybe Dennis can make up a accident photo page, but then maybe gore gallery . com would want in...

Experience based on good sound practices and advice coupled with some good learning experiences by making some mistakes coupled with some luck will add some good genes to the gene pool tonight.

And remembering it can happen to me. Consider the risks and proceed accordingly based on experience. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-05-02          54156

Tom, I don't think the problem you're having is 'getting up with the chickens'...

I suspect it's your proximity to Ottawa, I know I lose sleep over those TURKEYS...

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-05-04          54266

Murf:

Somebody I know in town actually went looking for them. The season opened around here.

I saw him the following week and he said they didn't see any. What is even more unusual is that he didn't hear any either. They much have all been in session back in Ottawa. That's a different kind of season I guess. Those Ottawa ones aren't even very wild but they do take up a bunch of space. Too far for me to drive to Ottawa to find out and good thing too.

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2003-05-05          54322

I have added a New "Safety" forum to the "General Board" section on the discussion page.

DennisCTB
TractorPoint ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-05-05          54348

Thanks Dennis! I think we can all benefit from the new section. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login