Go Bottom

Safety Belt Extensions

View my Photos
Misenplace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-05-29          55858

I recently bought a JD2210. I was a little suprised at the seat belt when it arrived as it looked like it was made for a size 0 model. I am pretty fair size and When I put on a winter coat to work out side even bigger. I contacted both JD and my dealer about safety belt extensions thinking surely they MUST have them ...right ? RIGHT ?? lol. after a few weeks of persistant nagging calls I finally found out through my dealer that the JD engineers say they are not available. To my dealers credit he offered to swap belts off a another model that were slightly longer. Any one else have problems with this ?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Safety Belt Extensions

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-05-29          55867

Doc, first of all congrats for doing something about safety equipment which was unworkable instead of just not using it.

We had a similar problem with our Kubota's, it seems the seatbelts got overlooked in the adaptation of operator sizing from Asian to North American standards.

We found a device which is sold for use in vehicles, but the belt latches were the same size, I don't know if they are the same on all makes, it is a piece of seat belt about a foot long with a male fitting on one end, and a female buckle on the other. It is sold as an aid for children and smaller adults, to allow the lap/shoulder belt combo to fit a smaller person properly.

We found them at a large auto supply house for about $15 each.

Also, if your belt was a little short for you be sure to check that the ROPS extends high enough above your head to give you adequate protection in the unfortunate event of a roll-over.

Best of luck. ....

Safety Belt Extensions

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-05-29          55892

murf, ya thats a good idea. I really need to just unbolt the darn things and take them in to get a extension match. I know on cars they are all different as crazy as that is. I dont just mean GM to Ford etc or even model to model. A lot of cars have different connectors on the front and rear seats. Plenty of room on the Rops but I was VERY suprised that JD wouldnt kick in a safety belt extension as the factory one is worthless to me. I have a slope in my back yard that has had me wishing for a belt a few times. Its easy to over look safety issues. A few weeks ago I tried to do a little radical liposuction with my chain saw on my left thigh. All because I was too darn lazy to change a plug so kept the r's up at idle. You dont have to get stupid too long to get in a pinch. I had a shop teacher in grade school that used to say the only time any tool is dangerous is when you get too comfortable with it. Over the years I have done my best to prove him right. ....

Safety Belt Extensions

View my Photos
Murf

2003-05-29          55909

DOc, not that I would recomend such action.... BUT, a rather portly friend of the family merely changed the belts completely on his NH, he went to a wrecking yard and bought a complete lap belt assembly out of a pickup (rear seat, lap belt only, and NOT from a wrecked one) and bolted it in place of the factory setup.

It was lots long enough, and has the auto retract feature which a lot of CUT belts don't have, so under normal conditions they are a little more comfortable since their not cutting you in two, or too loose to be effective when needed.

Of course the fact that the belt is now blue and has a Ford logo on the buckle was just a coincidence.

As I said before, better to wear it and NOT need it than, vice versa.

Sorry to hear about the leg, but I know what you mean about complacency, I got that way about my health, got a real wake-up, literally, a needle full of epinephrine, and then a couple shots from the defibrillator, not a lot of fun, but better than the alternative...

Best of luck. ....

Safety Belt Extensions

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-05-29          55917

that is a really good idea and the thought had crossed my mind. I was just thinking about the rear belts from a old caddy so they would just be straight cut belts. I need to get it done before I just wished that I had done it. ....

Safety Belt Extensions

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-05-30          56023

On commercial aircraft, the little seatbelts that the attendants use for demonstrations may also be used as seat belt extensions.

I think some auto child seats use an extension of that sort. Maybe that is what a previous writer bought from the auto parts store. ....

Safety Belt Extensions

View my Photos
Chief

2003-05-30          56026

Doc, obviously you and I are caloricly challenged and covered under the American's With Disabilities Act. I propose a class action law suit against John Deere, McDonalds, Burger King, and Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream to pay for pain and suffering and costs for a nice felts lined safety belts. <;o)

Safety Belt Extensions

View my Photos
stevenc
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-06-01          56205

I knnow as a fact on the Kubota Grand L series a seat belt extension can be ordered thru parts,,the others im NOT sure of ....

Safety Belt Extensions

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-02          56232

I dont know about the child safety belt but I almost needed the diaper this past weekend, Ballast and belt are a new HIGH priority, security alert code Orange lol. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login