Go Bottom

walk the ground first

View my Photos
mjw
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-06-07          57068

I happened across this accident report of a fatal rollover and it sure stuck close to home. I

Link:   

Click Here

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

walk the ground first

View my Photos
mjw
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-06-07          57074

sorry my last message posted while I was still typing. Still getting used to the shortcuts on this laptop :)
Reason I was saying it struck close to home is, I have a photo that looks just like that of one of my tractors. While back, it was getting late and I really wanted to get a area bush hogged and figured I'd hit it real quick and get home. I knew the slope ( I thought ) and ran straight up it making good progress when I realized ( too late ) the brush hid about a three - four foot wide depression and I hit it just to the left. Not deep at all but the brush hid it well. At first glace it was not evident as I was clearing some very heavy brush. tractor fell away to the left pretty quick and I leaped off safely with only a few minor injuries( no ROPS - fossil tractor ). Lucky me ! A very terrifing sight seeing that bush hog running wide open as I leapt away ( over ) from the tractor rolling into the brush.
I made all the fundamental mistakes and I certainly knew better than to do what I was doing. Guess I had become too comfortable. Can't say enough about taking some time to walk the land first and get a feel for it. Take a machete along to cut thick brush. scary how quick the land can change on you. ....

walk the ground first

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-08          57096

Glad you survived to tell the tale. Life is fragile and extinguished so quickly.

Those sights and sounds will stay with you all of your life. I tipped a tractor over nearly fifty years ago and I can still remember the details like it was yesterday.

I got away with bumps, bruises and the shirt torn off my back. The whipping I got from my grandfather was worse, by far. If he had gotten his way I would not have eaten for a week. Thank God grandma had apron pockets big enough to smuggle sandwiches into the bedroom where I was confined.

Tractors without ROPS and old cars without seatbelts should be relegated to the back of the lot where they can keep the weeds company until they rust into oblivion.

walk the ground first

View my Photos
AC5ZO
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-09          57174

I could not agree more about walking the ground first. I moved some heavy rocks this weekend, and I walked the entire route first, because it was hazardous enough that I wanted to make sure what track I was going to take.

Also, I tend to reuse the same tracks, once they are made, but washouts and slides to occur that mean that you still need to be careful even on those tracks that you "know." ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login