Go Bottom

VERY close call yesterday

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-13          61743

While cutting on a steep slope I have previously walked to check for obstacles and debry, I got quite a shock. I had cut this area many times before and never noticed or encounterd any debry or hazards. As I was backing up the slope, I happened to glance down at the front of the mower much to my shock and saw a length of electic power line cable emerging from under my mower. I immediately reached for the PTO switch to stop the mower and floored the reverse pedal. Fortunately and luckily the cable did not get entangled in my mower. Why and how is beyond me, but I am positive the Good Lord was looking out for me in this case. There is no telling what could have happened if that cable became entangled in the mower or wrapped around the PTO shaft. I can imagine visions of being wrapped in that cable as the PTO shaft wound it up. I could have been killed or at the very least done severe damage to my tractor and mower. I pulled the cable out of the brush and it was about 75 feet long. I called the power company to bring to their attention the potential danger of leaving materials like that laying unseen in the brush. They initially were of the opinion that it could not be their cable until they sent out a supervisor to look at it. He conceded that it was theirs and apologized profusely and said they would do their best to be very careful about this. Just wanted to pass along my experince in this particular instance, that even though I had walked and checked this area before; it NEVER hurts to go back again periodically and take another looksee.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-13          61749

Good call, Chief. Glad it turned out OK. I've got an area that has exposed cables coming out of the ground (coax and phone) and until I get out the string trimmer and trim it once manually I'm not going near it. Your post reinforced my caution. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2003-08-13          61770

Wire and rope are some of the toughfest stuff to unwind. I caught a piece barbed wire it seems like a 1/4 mile b-4 I got it shut down. Had to use cutting tourch to cut out the bulk of it wasted whole after noon doing it. The new plastic bale wrap string for big bales really sucks... ....

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-08-13          61794

Real nice. I wonder what would happen if it did get around the PTO, would the motor bog and stall or would it get much nastier?

Well, glad you spotted it.

If you find anymore, mark the spot and next time you grenade something on your tractor wrap the cable around the broken part, then call the utility company and tell em' to bring their checkbook :)

Only kidding of course, but with the rate increases lately it is tempting! ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login