Go Bottom

Outdoor lighting

View my Photos
kubotaguy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-01-06          73238

I am currently using a Halogen two light motion light (each 250 watt) at my house. I went this route originally because I like not having the area constantly lit up but yet when we pull in the cars the light comes on for going to the house (haven't built the garage yet). The halogen lights burn out frequently. I am debating on what type of lighting to go with and I think I am going to go with the larger dusk to dawn sodium or mercury lights but wanted some input. One thing I have heard is that these lights will blow if the power goes out while they are on because the need a cool down period or something. My main concern is safety when we come in at night since I live on a rural road and no street lights around. I like the idea of being able to have control of turning the light out if I want to keep it dark. Pro's or con's, suggestions?????

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Outdoor lighting

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-06          73244

I installed a sodium light at one of my rural properties and have a motion sensor with standard lightbulb on another. The sodium light has been there for about ten years, same bulb etc. without touching it. I'm not sure, but if it goes out like with an outage, it won't come back on by itself until it is ready. The unit should be mounted quite high to give a nice umbrella of coverage. The slight orange glow doesn't seem to glare back into the windows. Critters don't seem to mind it either. I understand power usage is only cents per month. I have a light switch mounted in the circuit so it can be shut-off as desired.

The other home with the motion sensor is a pain. The wind trips it on frequently. I also have a lightswitch on this one. In really windy conditions, I'm forced to turn it off to get some sleep. The light seems harsh with a normal bulb but it lasts for a long time also but not as long as the sodium. With such a narrow band of light coverage you always get a feeling that someone is in the lurches after it has gone on.

Homeland security is important in rural areas. As back-up security I use a S&W .357 Magnum with 8 3/8 barrel(so you can hit what you aim at)at ranges up to 50 yards or less. I use a Colt AR-15 for long range security back-up.

For my CCW, I use a Sig 229 (.40 S&W) with Laser-Max projecting laser sight that is mounted in the action's spring return. I've used the laser a number of times on weirdos that appear to have devious intentions. That is the safest mode of gun control without hurting people. The red dot instills some inner feelings that causes them to run. They've never come back with a complaint. ....

Outdoor lighting

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-01-07          73324

The utility company will install dawn to dusk halogen yard lights around here and the charge is a flat rate. They can't be turned off and I think there's is the power outage thing but that's the utility's problem. I wouldn't have one 'cause I got to liking my country dark. To me it seems very strange driving in the middle of a country night and see one of these places lit up like a used car lot.

We have just two rural service incandescent bulbs on the house and a motion sensitive one at a parking area. The regular bulbs didn't last very long. I figure there's enough light if I can see where to put the keys. The motion sensor is sort of a pain. Wind in the trees sets it off and we have to dance around under the pole to get it to turn on if the sensitivity is reduced enough to keep the wind from setting it off. Fortunately the light is fed from a GFI receptacle on the pole. I tend to use the GFI test like a switch since we seldom really need the light.

Go Top

Share This

Member Login