Go Bottom

I thought a tractor was supposed SAVE my back

View my Photos
imtools
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-04-04          82063

I'm not sure if this is the cause but my lower left back has been giving me trouble and I think it is from driving my tractor with tiller (or rake or box blade or...). I've been twisting around and looking back to monitor the attachment's progress. Anybody have the same problem and/or solution (mirrors?)?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
TomG

2004-04-04          82074

That's a good guess. I've managed lower back problems for most of my life starting in high-school gymnastics. The conditioning required to play competitive soccer for ten years was about the only time I haven't had periodic problems. Twisting around in the tractor does aggravate mine. I have a rear-view mirror that is useful to check for highway traffic that is overtaking me but I haven't found it useful for working 3ph implements.

A specific program of stretching and exercises is the only thing that manages the lower back for me. It's a good thing to take care of because I spent most of last summer with debilitating spasms in an ankle that eventually were found to be caused by the lower back I had neglected. It'd be a good thing to attend because it doesn't usually get better on its own if you keep doing the same thing. Eventually you crash. I spent 18-months in physio from doing my own roady work in my sideline sound business and barely escaped surgery. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-04          82077

I've gone the physical therapy and chiropractic routes and they haven't given me any long term relief. Now when my back spasms I go to acupuncture, and that gives me relief for longer periods than anything else I've tried.

Here's an idea. Maybe you could find an aftermarket tractor seat that rotates. This would lessen the severity of twist in your back when you turn in the seat. ....

View my Photos
Mikef54

2004-04-04          82078

Hi imtools, I know what you are going through, I used to till with my old JD 214 garden tractor. I had both the belt driven and hyd. driven rear tillers. I would till in all four directions with the belt drive, then repeat with the hyd. drive. By the time I was finished, my back was always killing me from having to look over my shoulder. I don't till anymore, but I do use a york rake with my JD 755. But that is with mostly forward motion, and nowhere near as much looking back, so it doesn't bother me as much. I agree with Tom and don't think mirrors will help that much because you will only see the sides behind you and not the center directly behind you. I ordered mirrors for my new tractor, mainly for backing up while snowblowing and mowing will report back on how it works. In the meantime take Tom's advice and limber up and keep the Tylenol handy!!:)
Good luck, Mike ....

View my Photos
wbowhunt
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-04          82103

I would have to agree with kwschumm on finding an after market seat. My NH came standard with a seat the swivels and lock at 10 and 20 degrees either diretion. For me that was one of the selling points as I too have had a history of lower back problems and having spent many hours on an old M raking hay and constantly turning back to look at the windrows took its toll. Now when I do rear work I just shift the seat and it locks and I am much more comfortable. ....

View my Photos
drcjv.

2004-04-05          82182

I have been treating low back problems for over 15 years. One of the worst positions for your back is flexion with forced rotation like when using a 3PT implement. One thing that can help is a seat that swivels. I have NH TC33D with a seat that swivels. When using a rake or similar I sit with seat rotated all the way to the right, then put both leggs on the right side of the platform and use the right foot to operate the reverse side of hydro pedal and the left foot to operate the foward side of hydro pedal. this works very well and eliminates much of the rotation. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-04-05          82185

In the days before Celebrex I took Feldene aka pyroxicam. This worked EXTREMELY well for me but it is VERY hard on the stomach in some cases. If I took it with a meal, I rarely had any problems. When Celebrex came out, I switched to it. Works well although not as good a Feldene but MUCH easier on the stomach. As mentioned above, a program of good stretching and exercise also helps alot. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2004-04-09          82584

I have the same problem but in my neck. Don't laugh but I have considered mounting an inexpensive 12v video camera on the RPS (at eye level) and a monitor over the dash. They use simialr units for semis and motorhomes---so why not here? I bought one of these complete units for $80. Haven't installed though (this one isn't weatherproof). ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-04-09          82610

earthwrks
Was just going to consider marketing that! LOL Now I will need to split the royalty with you. Heck the new tractor tech. coming out can just about drive it without an operator, now all we will need is a PC and a fan to blow some wind in our hair while driving the tractor from our sun rooms.

(not) LOL. ....

View my Photos
grinder

2004-04-10          82616

It's called getting old! Sure beats a hoe.
Two lumbar surgerys in the mid 80's. I change
jobs when I feel it,just get out of the position
and do something else for a while. I think we stay
at it to get it done, then pay dearly for a week.
Stop and walk and stretch. Alleve work good for me.

Go Top

Share This

Member Login