Go Bottom

What size JD or Kubota for an 11 acre mowing job

View my Photos
Henry
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-11-16          10160

Hi,I just purchased a rural property in central PA that's got about 11 relatively level acres that needs mowing. I've also got less frequent requirements for a loader and backhoe, so I think I'd like the quick-detatch type implements. The plan is to put in a small orchard (20 trees). I've looked at Kubota and John Deere so far, but would like some input on horsepower requirements, makes and models.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
B. Holden

1999-11-17          10187

For backhoe use you will need at the minimum a JD 4200. Not sure about other brands and backhoe compatability. My JD 4200 4wd hydro is 2 months old. Has mowed ~ 8 acres of very heavily weeded "pasture" land, and did a fine job with a 3 point-mounted "bush-hog". The hydro trans comes in very handy when mowing under varying conditions of turf/weed density and height.
I can totally disconnect the loader inside of 10 minutes (JD advertises ~ 3 minutes, but I'm kind of slow). So far as your need for a backhoe...are you really sure that you need to buy one instead of renting? Regards

View my Photos
Bird Senter

1999-11-17          10189

Henry, I have 10 acres and my brother also has 10 acres in the area. I used a Kubota B7100 (17 hp) for 4 years with a 40" tiller, 4' brush hog, 4' box blade, etc. It also had a front end loader, but was not a quick attach. A backhoe was available for it but I never bought one. It also did not have power steering. This year I traded up to Kubota B2710 (27 hp) with quick attach front end loader, power steering, 5' brush hog, 5' box blade, and a 5' finish mower. A backhoe is available, but I don't need one enough to justify the cost. Right now I'm inclined to think I have just about the right size for my property (the John Deere 4200 is a comparable size). ....

View my Photos
Alan L.

1999-11-17          10192

I'll put in another vote for the Kubota B2710. I have 24 acres of which I regularly mow about 12 using a 5' Rhino rotary cutter (shredder or brush hog). Now that I have cut it down to size it takes about 7 hours to mow it all, in medium range. There are lots of trees to dodge and mow around, so it would be quicker if completely cleared off. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login