Go Bottom

Suggestions Please

View my Photos
mcmus55
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-05-08          110849

My wife and I have 19 wooded acres just outside of Eugene Oregon and would like to purchase a tractor to help maintain the land. We need the tractor for clearing out blackberries, brush etc, on hill terrain. We would also like to put a back-blade on to do some modest grading. One of the prime requisites is a relatively easy to maintain machine, so any suggestions on brand would be appreciated, along with what we might need to spend on a used machine of this size....thanks!

Pat

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Suggestions Please

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-05-08          110851

How steep are your hills? Will you be doing any thinning? How big are the trees? ....

Suggestions Please

View my Photos
mcmus55

2005-05-08          110852

Not exactly sure of the grade I would guess nothing really more than 8-10% I would guess. I will not be falling any trees but will be needing to run a brush hog mostly.

Pat ....

Suggestions Please

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-05-08          110853

I'd recommend a 2500 to 3000 lb 30 horsepower chassis as a minimum size. Hydro's are nice but there are other options for transmissions and ag or industrial tires should get the job done. ....

Suggestions Please

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-05-09          110861

Our land in NW Oregon is similar to yours and the JD 4310 works great for our needs. It's a 32 hp medium frame machine. I started out with R4 industrial tires - big mistake for our clay soil and frequently soft conditions. Swapped them for R1s set to the widest postion and the machine is much more stable on the hills now. Any of the major brands will serve you well, really the quality of dealer support is more important than the brand. Don't go too big, manueverability in the trees is important. ....

Suggestions Please

View my Photos
metastable

2005-05-09          110882

"wooded acres"...regardless of the brand, make sure it's not too big physically so it can maneuver around trees. 24-30HP, folding ROPS, and R1 tires would be a start. Like Ken said, the R4's plug up and get slick fairly easily. Only get R4's if you plan to run across the lawn a lot. Get 30+ HP if you plan to purchase a chipper. ....

Suggestions Please

View my Photos
denwood

2005-05-09          110884

Sounds pretty well summed up. price for name brand, used, 25-35 hp, hydro, 4x4, with loader and less than 1000 hours, $10-18,000. I bought my 2000 JD 4300 hydo 430 loader, with 299 hours for 14,500, private sale. If you think you do not need a hydro, you will be punished one way or another. Either in using it or reselling it later. I have almost all woods and can't imagine all the tight manuvers without it with the mower and the loader. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login