Go Bottom

Help select tractor

View my Photos
Ken
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-01-02          11666

We really need a tractor! - don't know where to begin....We have 30 ac. of New England woods with house and two barns including 3 ac. of bumpy pasture - we would like to increase to about 6 ac.Remove topsoil / site prep for barn / garage and new housePossibly limited excavation for house foundation(Once I get the tractor/loader can I rent the attachments? )Move fallen logs and small rocks (many!)Haul firewoodMove, maintain and spread manure pileMaintain and improve woods road and drive (1/2 mile max.) Maintain horse areas and some trail area improvementsYard maintenance including redoing 1.5 ac. of existing lawn, smoothing and filling and mowingSnow removal (once or twice a year these days)spin a generator when the power goes out (hurricanes, etc)So far all I know about tractors is: 1. I like the looks of a 4 wd 1710 or 1720 (?) 2. Saw an ad for a Rhino 22 hp for $5500. with loader and 4wd 3. Stumbled upon this web site - forget the Rhino.I really need to keep the budget low (way below 10K, have new baby, baby needs new house) IÕm willing to fore-go all creature comforts and would consider a much older machine if one exists that would be considered ÒdependableÓ. KIOTI has caught my attention as a possible new purchase - I just donÕt see how I could afford a Kubota or JD at this time. IÕm looking for advice. Is this do-able? Thanks - Ken (sorry 'bout the long post, i'm starting to hyperventilate!)

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Help select tractor

View my Photos
jeff watson

2000-01-02          11667

Ken,
My personal OPINION is to beware of the Rhino, China diesels, etc out there. I don't know about the Kioti. They have at least been around long enough to have a fair dealer network and seem to have quite a few satisfied owners judging from the messages I've seem posted. You might want to take a look at the Kubota "economy" L series. (L2350 & L2500 now replaced for 2000 by L2600 and L3000). These are physically about the same size as the Ford/NH 1720. They lack some of the creature comforts of the regular kubota B & L series but have a reasonable price.
Don't know how you are planning on financing the tractor purchase but the new ones (or lease returns) can get good rates on financing from the manufacturers that may offset a big outlay of cash for a used machine or higher interest rate personal loan. (You can include implements w/ Kubota don't know about the others). This was a big deciding factor for me (besides the fact I didn't really want a 20 yr old tractor that took 30 min of repairs before going to work). A lease return (harvest return or what ever you wanna call em) may be a good option for you. Check out www.carverequipment.com they actually list real tractor prices on their web site. It may be worth while to drop SC an e-mail and get his recomendations.

jeff in nc ....

Help select tractor

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-01-03          11669

You are in luck, because with that much rough work to do you will be better off with an older farm tractor and loader....and you can get a fine one for the $5000 dollar range. For that price you can find one that will be very reliable. ....

Help select tractor

View my Photos
PaulB

2000-01-03          11670

I agree with Roger. I can not understand how or why old farm tractors are such a bargain, but they are, at least here in central N.Y. You can pick and choose from a half dozen in the want adds for $5,000 or less, and some I am sure are in fine shape. You could even buy one, then have a first class mechanic go over it with a fine tooth comb, and still stay in you price range. The Japanese 4 wheel drive tractors, even old beat up ones, are still very expensive in comparison, and parts are ungodly. Just remember to BE VERY CAREFUL driving these things - even old experienced farmers get killed by their tractors on a fairly regular basis around here ( of 11 farm related deaths in N.Y. last year, I believe 9 were from tractor accidents according to a report I read)
PaulB ....

Help select tractor

View my Photos
Kim Hartshorn

2000-01-03          11674

Old Farm Tractors are the way to go...but make very sure you choose a utility tractor with a wide front end. The early Ford Compacts were designed as small farm tractors and can be found for the same money as typical farm tractors...these would include the 1500 1700 1900 1510 1710 1910...I would stay away from the 1200 and 1600. If you get one of these Ford Compacts make sure it is 4wd since they are too light to offer much traction in the 2wd models.

One other thing...if you are new to tractors you might buy used through a dealer. If you have a good dealer close to you they will work with you and help you out with lots of questions and also be more likely to stand behind their sale than a private seller might be. I would go to Farm Tractor dealers and not Lawn and Garden.

Good Luck

Kim Hartshorn

Help select tractor

View my Photos
Tom G

2000-01-04          11680

We were in a similar situation but with less land. Found a used Ford 1710 4wd gst at a dealer. The tractor came with a loader, and the dealer gave a decent price on a new back hoe and snow blower. Box scraper, tiller and some sort of grapple arrangement for the loader bucket will be added this spring.

Buying from somebody I could ask a few questions of was important in getting me up and running. Sites like this have been essential is keeping me from doing really dumb things. Tractors are dangerous.

A compact like the 1710 was a good compromise for me. They are priced as much, or more, than a full sized tractor. They can do serious work, but they do not have the power or traction of a full sized. Many of the 'heavier jobs' can be done with a compact or a full sized, but it takes longer with a compact. However, compacts can work in many places where full sized tractors can't go.

In my case, I think I get more work I need done with a compact than I would with a full-sized. And, I can trade favours with my neighbours if I run out of HP. The neighbours can't get very far into the bush with their big old Masseys without building roads. They also drive across lawns with their ag tires.

For comparison, here's an example of something I couldn't do with my 1710. I couldn't lift a grade level concrete slab (about 3'x3'x6") with the loader. The loader would curl up one side so I could get a chain under the slab, and I dragged it out with the draw bar. Don't know if the loader would have lifted it once I got it out of the hole. My turf tires barely gave me enough traction on gravel till I got it out of the hole. Suppose I could have broken the slab with a sledge, but it was destined to become a generator pad at town hall.

Help select tractor

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

2000-01-04          11690

PaulB brought up a good point, especially when thinking about your new baby.
Last I checked (6 months ago)Not even one fatality has occurred on Tractors w/ROPS and the operator wearing a seatbelt. Something to consider and/or keep in mind when purchasing. BTY: seatbelts/ROPS are ALWAYS necessary..The most recent fatality in my area happened in a perfectly flat field. Being thrown or falling in front of your tractor's tires is just as lethal as toppling on a hill. Either way, your chances of survival are fairly slim. ....

Help select tractor

View my Photos
PaulB

2000-01-04          11691

Michael - I had read (maybe from an earlier post by you?)about the zero fatality record of the rops/seatbelt combination, but I have no idea where those data come from. Where can I research that sort of information?
Thanks
PaulB ....

Help select tractor

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

2000-01-04          11692

Paul,
I will have to find the article. I can't remember if it was in a pamphlet to encourage installation on older tractors or something that came with our JD 4100. I will do my best to find it. Doubt I'll have a chance to find it tonight. ....

Help select tractor

View my Photos
Jim

2000-01-06          11718

Ken, I'm sure I have something along the lines of what your looking for. have 60-70 machines 2&4wd w/loaders starting @ $2900 located in NW New England, can deliver Jim ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login