Go Bottom

Ready to buy CUT need advice

View my Photos
MikeMag
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-12-10          120782

Reading these boards has given me some valuable insight into tractor buying / owning etc. Now I'm ready to buy within days as soon as I can make up my mind. I only have two specific uses for the new tractor: mowing a 2.5 acre rolling lawn with a few trees and snowblowing a 900' paved driveway that has inclines and produces 2-3' drifts along much of the way due to the slope of the land.

I just sold a JD X575 w/62" deck and 47" 2 stage blower. The machine mowed the lawn like a carpet, but couldn't handle the driveway. Lack of weight, not power, seemed to be the issue. I am convinced a CUT is the way to go but am concerned that the larger size/weight of the CUT will not match the mowing quality of the X series. I have narrowed my choices to either a Case DX29 or Kubota 3030 (Both Hydro). If anyone can give me some real world experiences on finish mowing with these size tractors, It would be greatly appreciated!! Wife has given me the green light and I want to move on this before it turns red!!! Thanks for any help.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-12-11          120838

First you need to realize that it depends on your type of grass and the soil. People are going to give you different answers. It is a bit hard to compare cuts accurately apples to apples. You need to use different equipment on the same grass. Denis has a post on this on another thread you can look at.
I have fairly hard clay and centipee. I have a rear discharge 60" 3 pt Buhler mower. I was fixing a widow's mower the other day a XL-17 Deere (I think). I mowed my lawn to test. The cut with the 60" Buhler is better.
I had a MTD 54" mower and it also was inferior to the Buhler. I also had a 60" side discharge 3 pt Land Pride, which was not as good as the Bulher. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-12-11          120839

I think you are going too big, try a B series if mowing is one of your chores. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-12-11          120852

With a good mower deck, you will be surprised at the quality of cut you can get. I run a JD4310 with a 72" mid mount that cuts as good or better than my JD325 with 54" deck. But a lot depends on what soil, grass, consitions you will run.

If your grass grows fast and you don't get it cut often, you can get windrowing (need to pick up the clippings). They are heavier so if you have soft soil that hold moisture, you can get ruts and tracks. I don't get ruts, but I don't mow when the ground is soggy. ....

View my Photos
MikeMag

2005-12-11          120861

Thanks for the reponses! Dennis when you say "too big" ar eyou referring to physical size or weight or both. Weight was one reason why I may lean toward the B3030 Kubota as it weighs about 600lbs less than the DX29. However the Dx29 has a 2" shorter wheelbase. My soil is normally quite dry having good drainage. I live on top of a hill so wet, soft soil is not really an issue. I have had the theory that I should get the "smallest tractor" that would still spin a 64" rear snowblower. In my mind that would provide the best cut quality. However, like "Iowafun's" experience, I have heard of other owners who have great luck mowing with a larger style tractor.

Thanks again!! ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-12-12          120917

Mike, I like the thought you have of going with hydro. My 4310 is hydro which makes mowing really nice. I take that tractor right up and around trees, etc. But consider the ROPS when looking at clearance beneath trees. I have some that aren't all enough yet so I can only get so close before the ROPS would break off tree limbs.

But the CUT has the power to run the deck and keep the speed up. When I upgraded to the 4310 with 72" deck, it cut my mowing time in half despite the additional trees I had planted. ....

View my Photos
Gatorbait

2006-01-05          122293

I have a B-series Kubota. I mow 6 acres, and blow a 1000' plus concrete driveway with similar snow conditions. The setup is great, and I highly recommend the B-series with a front mount blower. I would not want to blow that much snow looking backwards. Hurts my neck just thinking about it. The blower is only 52", but unless the snow is really bad, you can go pretty fast, especially going forward rather than backing up. ....

View my Photos
Gatorbait

2006-01-05          122294

Oh....and the mow quality is fantastic with the 60" MMM as well. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login