Go Bottom

Rookie question use a grass catcher or not

View my Photos
Kubotacurious
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-04-30          128611

I moved from a house where I used my Lawn Boy push mower, into a house with an acre of property. I am thinking seriously about buying a Kubota G6200 with a 44 inch deck, with no grass catcher. My concern is if I don't use a grass catcher, after a few days, will my lawn not look good as a result of the dead lawn clippings? The G6200 was manufactured in '91 and I was told that a mulching deck wasn't avail then. I could buy a grass catcher but I would think, getting a used grass catcher wouldn't be easy because if there are any out there they are attached to a tractor. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. Michael

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-04-30          128619

A G 6200 has plenty of power for a 44" deck and they were good decks. I'd try it first. ....

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-05-01          128634

That depends if you want a Healthy lawn, natures way or a healthy lawn the Ortho way.
I usually let me grass grow to seed before I cut thefirst time and then I mulch Grass, leaves, sticks and whatever back into the soil. I have a very high Ph and acid content so my topsoil needs all it can get. For years, after i cleared the pines (problem makers) I could not even grow grass and then I talked with a guy who sold nite crawlers commercially. I bought about 5,000 somewhat alive ones off of him, he couldn't sell them and i'll tell youwant, I put them all over my dirt areas and I have grass everywhere now a and Song Birds and robins and you name it.
After all this, if tyou care about a few dandalions, MULCH. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-05-01          128638

An acre of yard can generate allot of clippings. Do you plan to work them in a garden, compost them or have a big pile to burn?

Mowing often helps to keep the amount of clippings laying on top of the lawn down. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-05-01          128649

We did use grass catcher. No more if nothing else just due to the amount of work.

Cut it as often as you should and on the grass we cut (zoysia, centipeide, bermude and carpet) and the clippings are not an issue. Let it grow to hay stage and that is another matter.

If the clippings do bother you, use the blades with the highest back side you can get to throw the clippings and just keep the mowver moving them over and then use a lawn sweeper to pick up the row of clippings the mower threw them into. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2006-05-01          128651

Using high-lift blades work best if you wish to push the loose grass to the right for windrows to pickup with a sweeper.

Low/no lift on the blades works better for scattering the grass more evenly on top. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-05-01          128654

YP,

Thanks for the proper name of high lift. Could not think of it when I posted.

I agree with you on the blades.
kt ....

View my Photos
Kubotacurious

2006-05-01          128657

Thanks for the reply vooperpete.
I don't plan on using the clippings at all, I do have a field of common land behind me where I can spread them out I was told by a neighbor. From what I am hearing, if I cut it often enough I should be good.
Thanks again. ....

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-05-01          128672

I mix the clipping with mulched leaves and leave it until spring of the next year. Spread it on the lawn. Why waste it. ....

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-05-02          128739

I mow my lawn up and down and then left to right and that helps to spread the shavings, in addition to giving a cleaner cut. ....

View my Photos
Kubotacurious

2006-05-17          129485

Thanks for all of the advise. I purchased the tractor and used it twice. I sharpened the blades after the first cut and the second cut went real well, even in wet grass half way through because it began to rain.
Thanks again.
Michael ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-05-17          129486

Main thing is to not let the grass get out of control. When I do, that's when I have problems. Keep up with it and you will be fine. Course, with the cost of fuel these days, it's harder to keep up.

I don't think my wife would like the nature look to our lawn. Oh well. An excuse to run the tractor. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login