Go Bottom

Which tractor

View my Photos
djkolva@atlab.com
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-02-18          12941

I have 25 wooded acres and need a tractor to remove scrub, haul firewood, maintain a 6000' dirt road, etc. Grass around the house is mowed with a cheap yard tractor. I was thinking that a loader and backhoe would be needed.Should I buy 4x4 or two wheel? What size? What brand? New or used? Tell the wife or wait for delivery?Thanks in advance to all who respond.Don

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Which tractor

View my Photos
Doug Kimmey

2000-02-21          13015

Don,
I have 96 acres that I do alot of the same things that you described. Last spring I bought a Kubota L-3010 with 4wd, Hydro, front loader, 6' bush hog, 7' rear blade. Ihave been extremely happy withthis tractor...I have done everything I have wanted so far and enjoyed the heck out of it. I look for jobs to do that involve the tractor (even apple picking). I would highly recomend 4wd and Hydrostatic trans. You will appreciate it very much and it will hold its value at time of resale. Good luck! ....

Which tractor

View my Photos
Frank R Taylor

2000-02-23          13109

I couldn't agree with Doug more about the hydro and 4-wheel drive. I think they are a boon in tractors of this size. I think you might be able to get by with something slightly smaller than Doug's though, say something like a JD4200 or a Kubota 2710 or equivalent. What are you going to be doing with a back hoe? I have a Kubota B2400 that I use around the house and 10 acres of pasture and my big vegetable garden. I also trailer it to the 155 acre farm although I have ag tractors there. I have been very pleased with it ... magic little machine. I use the FEL and box blade at the farm to do construction work in places that I couldn't get to with the bigger tractors. Used, good condition tractors of this type aren't that much cheaper than new ones in my area and difficult to find so you're pretty limited for choice. Good luck and enjoy. As for telling the wife, if she's anything like mine you'll have to push her off the seat to be able to use it yourself. She loves moving stuff with the FEL ... the most awesome, expensive wheelbarrow she's ever had. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login