Go Bottom

Loking at a first purchase - B2100

View my Photos
redwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-02-23          13110

This is my first posting a possibly a duplicate (I did not find the original on the board checking 12hrs after the posting - accept a rookie's appologies, if I've doubled it). I have approx. 3.5 mostly level acres (.75 wooded). In the near term, I need to do some clearing/hauling of fallen trees, box scraper work, and move quite a bit of "one-man" sized rock. Over the long term I will need to do the mowing and use a loader for moving mulch and miscellaneous stuff. I've found a 46 hour B2100 with turf tires, a 60" belly mower, and a loader for 15K.1) Is this the right amount of tractor for my needs?2) How's the price sound?3) What are the pros and cons of belly vs. rear mounted mowers?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Frank R Taylor

2000-02-24          13128

Sounds like a great match. You'll be surprised just what you can achieve with the little beauty. You didn't mention if it had hyrostatic transmission and 4-wheel drive, both of which would be a benefit in a tractor of this size. Last year I looked at the B2100 but decided on the B2400 (a few more horses for a few more dollars). With a rear mount finishing mower and a Kubota FEL, I paid just over $17,000 so your price doesn't look all that bad considering the belly mower is more expensive and provided the tractor has hydro and 4WD.
There was along discussion on this board about a year ago on the virtues of belly mowers vs. rear mount mowers. I don't know if those threads are still available but it basically boiled down to the rear mount being slightly cheaper, easier to take off and put on (if you need to), easier to mow under trees and banks etc. by backing into it, less manoeverable in mowing around objects, doesn't affect ground clearance of the tractor, doesn't interfere with FEL use and mounting (don't think this is a problem with the B2100), etc, etc .... all the common sense stuff. Having used both, I don't think there is any real difference in performance. Some people feel the belly mower is easier to use, especially on hilly stuff and cutting along fence lines where you don't have to get a crick in your neck looking back all the time. It's really a matter of personal preference but I think from reading the posts last year that the majority of people who use this board prefer the rear discharge, rear mount mower (by a small majority).
Have fun, you'll enjoy working with it. ....

View my Photos
Jim Hutchins

2000-02-24          13137

BUY STEINER!!! The tractor with four different motor options and over 30 different attachments. Most all attachments are on the front and you can change from blade to mower in less than 1 MINUTE. Before you buy check out STEINER TURF in Dalton Ohio. I think there #330 828 0200. I'm very happy with mine. ....

Link:   steiner

Go Top

Share This

Member Login