Go Bottom

buying a tractor

View my Photos
VAW115
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-03-24          140700

I am new to the land of tractors and thought some of you
could help with a question. I have 10 heavily wooded acres and need to remove quite a few pine and juniper stumps. I have been looking in the 25-30 hp range (Big Three)w/BH.
Is this range too small for the task?

Thanks,

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

buying a tractor

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-03-24          140703

YAW115; How big are the stumps? What do you want tne tractor to do after the stumps are gone? Tell us more. Stumps bigger than 18 inch diamater are going to be a real challenge for that size hoe. perhaps hire someone with a full size hoe to take care of the stumps, then if you still want a hoe one of that size will handle 99% of what you need done. Glad to hear you're staying with the big three, you will get better resale, better dealer networks with readily avaiable parts are a big part of tractor ownership. All three are good machines, but again my old sermon on dealers. do a bit of research on LOCAL dealers, how long have they been in business, the personality of the sales staff, well established service dept. etc.. Ask around people will tell you of the good and bad dealer experiences. What ever brand you buy, sooner or later it will need service, that's where a good local dealer is real important to your ownership experience. A bargan price two states away don't mean much when you need service today. Enjoy what you buy. Frank. ....

buying a tractor

View my Photos
loiseau

2007-03-24          140704

Bonjour! moi aussi je suis nouveau dans le domaine des tracteur compact,je me suis acheter un john deere model 955 et j'ai hate qu'il ni a plus de neige pour l'essayer sur mon lot pour voir si 33HP sont suffisant pour faire le travail.Pour l'instant j'ai eu le temps de l'essayer dans la neige pour ouvrir quelque rentrée,et je crois que c'est suffisant.A c'est été...

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR PURSHASE. Sorry,Excuse moi j'ai de la misere avec mon anglais. ....

buying a tractor

View my Photos
Nuruadv

2007-03-24          140705

Go Green ....

buying a tractor

View my Photos
DK35vince

2007-03-25          140715

The big 3 (Kubota, John Deere, NH) have some excellant machines.
But Massey Ferguson, Kioti, Mahindra, Etc. also offer some very nice machines. Definately worth checking them all out in my opinion.
I have a 2001 Kioti DK 35. Really been pleased with this tractor and my dealer. 940 hours on my DK 35 and it has been problem free so far.. ....

buying a tractor

View my Photos
VAW115

2007-03-25          140720

Konichi wa, watashi no french sugoi warui desu. De mo, watashi no Nihongo mo chotto daijobu desu.

Sorry, the only I do worse than speaking French is running
a backhoe. (My Japanese is o.k. though) Best I could get is that your 955 was sufficient.

Thanks for the input. ....

buying a tractor

View my Photos
VAW115

2007-03-25          140721

Thanks for the quick response. There are a couple of stumps that will need a semi pulling and a dozer pushing. (3ft+)
But most are 18" or less. After that, I have an easement of about 2k ft., fence work, move some rock around, ...etc.

I just like doing the work myself as much as possible. I like the work but my arms are tired after cutting all that firewood. Do you think something in the 30-35 range would be better?

thanks in advance! ....

buying a tractor

View my Photos
VAW115

2007-03-25          140722

I am also looking at MF. Kioti and Mahindra look good but I don't know of any dealers around here. (I won't buy new from someone's garage.) Tractors don't seem as popular in AZ as they are in IA, MO, TX, ....etc. Maybe all the cactus, I don't know? ....

buying a tractor

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-03-25          140724

Here is a little translation help for loiseau:

Hello! me, I am also new in the field of the compact tractor, I am to buy a John deere model 955 and I hate it that I don't have nor is there more snow to test it on my batch to see whether 33HP is sufficient to do the work. For the moment I had time to test it in snow to open some re-entry, and I believe that it is sufficient. With it is been…

Excuse me I have misery with my English.

loiseau......unfortunately most of America has a problem with English ;O)

buying a tractor

View my Photos
VAW115

2007-03-25          140726

Thanks Chief, I guess I wasn't even close! ....

buying a tractor

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-03-25          140729

YAW115; I guess I'll finally have to let my color show thru. I'm on my third 4000 series tractor a 4310/W 430 loader and a #48 backhoe. That seems to be about my ideal size. It still won't take out any three ft. stumps but with a bit of patience will handle most of the 15-16 inchers. The equivilant in a new unit would be a 3320/W 300 series loader and a 48 or 448 hoe. I've never been around a 448 hoe, but probably some refinements over the 48. If youn are like me and enjoy doing that type of work yourself, it will do most anything a smaller dedicated hoe will only just take longer. Just could'nt keep it to myself any longer. Frank. ....

buying a tractor

View my Photos
Nuruadv

2007-03-25          140733

Go Green! ....

buying a tractor

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-03-29          140833

I don't like to oversize as it cut's into the tractor's lists of chores it can do. I'd look at the 30 plus sizes for the jobs you have listed. One you might want to look at that is a great buy is the L-3400 Kubota for the work you have but I wouldn't like to tackle the work you say you have with a chassis any lighter. I do like light tractors as they burn less fuel. ....

buying a tractor

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-03-29          140842

Depending on what you will be doing and how quick, for those 3 foot plus stumps you may find grinding them or using a chemical on them will remove them sufficiently or quick enough. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login