Go Bottom

What Kind of Tractor To Buy

View my Photos
David Chapman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-03-28          14237

I have two acres of grass with a house, pond, driveway and a fence (slip rail fence - 4 row) all the way around the property. My primary goal is to reduce the mowing time since it's a weekly activity. Secondly I need a tractor to move dirt, rocks and mulch, plow the driveway, maintain the pond and keep the edges of the property clear of brush. So do I want something like a JD 650 or 850 series with a 60" or 72" deck - how well will these units go around trees and mow along a fence row. My other option is a zero-turn mower for mowing and a tractor just for the non-mowing work. Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated.Thanks,Dave in PA

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

2000-03-28          14241

Dave,
Aside from the pond, your situation is exactly like mine. Right down to the split rail fence. We faced exactly what your looking at about a year ago. Having used my fathers o radius Gravely, I initially felt this would be the answer to our prayers. And money permitting it most likely would have been. Unfortunately we also wanted to move dirt, plow snow, etc... So our search for a used compact tractor began. To make a long story short, we ended up with a new JD 4100 with the 410 loader and 54" mower deck. We chose the smaller deck because 54" turned out to be the magical number between many of our trees, including the width between the edge of our property and the fence. Honestly, I cannot say that I would want anything Larger in terms of tractor size. OMO, I think the 20 hp units are perfect for a 2 acre yard. But in your case I would go for the larger mower deck. And honestly, aside from the ROPS catching tree branches, I can go anywhere our 12 hp lawnmower could go...only faster and easier. Lots a luck. ....

View my Photos
Roy

2000-03-28          14249

Look at the Kubota BX series, it may fit your needs at a low price. ....

View my Photos
Donald

2000-03-28          14257

You may find that the Boomer TC21 or TC21D with the Front End Loader and 60" mid-mount mower, from New Holland is just what you're looking for. They are so "user friendly". The mower is as easy to use as any riding mower, yet you have the power to use the Front Loader or a box scraper. Good luck. ....

View my Photos
Jim Youtz

2000-03-28          14262

I have a very similar need to yours on 3 acres. Except I also wanted to plow and rototill a large garden. I ended up with a JD 4100 and it is perfect for my needs. Very happy with the tractor. I have a 54" deck, 5' rear blade, 52" rototiller, one bottom plow, subsoiler and dirt scoop (poor man's loader). I think that the other tractors mentioned here are also good choices to be considered. I would also add the NH TC18 to the list. Make sure whatever you buy-get 4wd. It is a must in these smaller tractors (IMHO) ....

View my Photos
G in Ohio

2000-04-08          14598

Dave, Have you checked out the articulated four wheel drives? They are excellent, maneuverable mowing machines. They can reach over the water's edge, under fences, trees, etc. Venture Products even has a new offset 72" deck that enhances mowing parallel with the water's edge. See web site: "venturepro.com" ....

View my Photos
Jack LoSecco

2000-07-18          18082

I just looked at the BX1800 and BX2200 at my local farm supply today. I went in to look at the Cub Cadets, but I really prefer a Kubota. He said he's had a tough time getting them in stock and when he does, their gone pretty quickly. They will handle a 60" mid mount mower as well as a wide array of standard implements. I believe they run around 13k for the tractor with the mower. It appears to be about the ideal size for my recently purchased 5 acres, about 1.5 of which will be grass. I plan to do some gardening, snow blowing, general yard work and maintain a small orchard. I just need to convince my wife that we need to buy the tractor before we build the house! She wants granite counter tops, but I say go with laminate and let me buy a tractor. ....

View my Photos
evansgarr

2000-07-19          18096

Go with laminate and get the tractor!hahahahhhha Seriously look at the Cubs. They are great machines and much tougher than some of the green and orange machines. Green and orange are great machines, but my money goes to the yellow and white.

I've had a 7195 Cub, with FIL, for 3 years and it's been a mule that won't quit! ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login