Go Bottom

Compact Tractor Suggestions

View my Photos
Rob W.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-04-07          14544

I am looking for the right combo for the 63 acres I just bought. Most of it is wooded, with ridges and hils, 15 acres tillable rented to local farmer, and maybe 2-3 acres of mowing and trails through the woods. I also have a hilly, 800 foot gravel drive that will need plowing.The tractors I have been looking at are the Kubota b1700-B2500, the NH TC18-21, and the JD 790, 4100, and the 755 series. I prefer to buy used. Which ones specifically will handle the plowing duties the easiest? Is it easier with a loader, or blade? Thanks!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Keith Boyd (Huntmas

2000-04-07          14553

If you can afford one, I would seriously be looking for a tractor more in the range of about 30-34 horsepower for that size of property. That's a lot of land and will take a lot more time to maintain with a 18-24hp tractor. The smaller ones like you listed do not plow very efficiently with a disc harrow, since they don't have the weight or power to really turn up a 5ft wide strip of ground in one pass. They will do it, but it will take a good deal more time. What size tractor does the farmer, who rents the 15 acre field, use to plow with? I bet it ain't a small one like the ones you listed. Just my opinion.

Keith ....

View my Photos
Rob W.

2000-04-07          14554

Thanks for the input, I have access to a JD2240 (2040?) with loader and cab. This is to big my purpose. I will use it occasionally (It is my in-laws who live down the street) I will not be plowing a field, I will be plowing a driveway. Since I have access to the larger JD, I figure a 18-25HP compact should fit the bill, but I am looking for others with similar situations to compare their experiences. ....

View my Photos
gerard

2000-04-08          14575

Forget about plowing with the loader. It'll do a great job for pushing back the banks but a lousy job at plowing because it doesn't "shed" the snow. Your first pass will be ok because after the bucket fills the rest spills out on each side. For an 800 ft driveway I'd go with either a back blade (at least 7ft because when you angle it you actually cut down the swath to about 6ft) or a front blade that replaces your bucket. That way you also have power angle. (About $1200. Still cheaper than a 3 pt snowblower) Just make sure your loader has a float position, helps a lot in not tearing up the driveway. ....

View my Photos
Keith Boyd (Huntmas

2000-04-10          14638

Rob, you didn't tell us you had access to a REAL tractor!! In that case, a compact will serve you well for your immediate needs. When the task calls for a bigger, meaner tractor then you can go "bum" the bigger JD from the relatives!
I bet that later on though, you will want to move up to a 30-34 hp tractor yourself!! It happens to us all sooner or later!

Keith ....

View my Photos
Rob W.

2000-04-10          14651

It is nice to have access to this machine, I checked and it is a JD 2640. What is hard to justify is the price on these compacts. This 2640 with cab, heat, and loader(BIG), 1100 one owner hours,auctioned for $13500. Again, this is too big for me, and I need the compact. Of course my wife just says..."borrow Dad's.." She doesn't understand the need to own your own machine. Thanks for the input.
Rob ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login